Water feature vs. Automatic cover

ChunkyDunkee

Jun 14, 2023
Sacramento, CA
Hello,

I’m in the process of designing the pool and the backyard has been demoed. My initial wish list included a water feature (sheer descent) pouring into the pool and automatic cover, which I really, really, really want. I live in the City of Trees, for Pete’s sake. The pool builder informed me today that the water feature would void the warranty on the automatic cover. My choices are to keep the water feature knowing that if anything happens to the auto cover, I’m SOL, or get rid of the water feature. Can someone make me feel better about getting rid of the water feature? Do you use yours frequently enough that I should think about putting a fountain somewhere else in the yard?

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Cheers,

CD

Hello,

I’m in the process of designing the pool and the backyard has been demoed. My initial wish list included a water feature (sheer descent) pouring into the pool and automatic cover, which I really, really, really want. I live in the City of Trees, for Pete’s sake. The pool builder informed me today that the water feature would void the warranty on the automatic cover. My choices are to keep the water feature knowing that if anything happens to the auto cover, I’m SOL, or get rid of the water feature. Can someone make me feel better about getting rid of the water feature? Do you use yours frequently enough that I should think about putting a fountain somewhere else in the yard?

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Cheers,

CD
Both are great features.

Issues to consider;

The dirtiest pool I ever cared for was one with an auto cover. Customer never cleaned the leaves off the top before opening. When they opened the cover for my service day (they kept the key in the house) the wet bottom came in contact with the debris that was on top of the cover. Close the cover and all that stuck debris now ends up in the pool. So, be aware of what it takes for that cover to be really effective at keeping the pool clean.

Also, you will need to find an auto pool cleaner that is compatible with a cover, and you WILL want a cleaner.

Water moving through the air evaporates more quickly than the water in the pool, so water features can cause an increase in the water the pool uses.

Do you have automation setup? My intellicenter is wired up to my auto cover and knows when it's open or closed, my sheer decent and water slide won't even attempt to come on when the cover is closed, and if they're running and the cover starts closing they turn off immediately. As far as I'm aware all of my warranties are valid, might be worth talking to your builder to see if something like this is possible to avoid the issues they're foreseeing.

Do you have automation setup? My intellicenter is wired up to my auto cover and knows when it's open or closed, my sheer decent and water slide won't even attempt to come on when the cover is closed, and if they're running and the cover starts closing they turn off immediately. As far as I'm aware all of my warranties are valid, might be worth talking to your builder to see if something like this is possible to avoid the issues they're foreseeing.
I’m getting automation as part of the package. Thank you! I will look into this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.