Water come out of pressure release valve but RPMs are low

It has been a while since I took my PRV apart but it is just a diaphragm. I was wondering if there is some debris in it that is keeping it open and not allowing it to seal.

It has been a while since I took my PRV apart but it is just a diaphragm. I was wondering if there is some debris in it that is keeping it open and not allowing it to seal.
I've tried three separate new pressure release valves, all with the same issue. So no debris.

But @Rocket J Squirrel's suggestion to remove everything and try the wall connector by itself DID allow the pressure release valve to stop releasing water. Not sure what that means.

OK. This is interesting. I tired removing the hose completely - AND THEN the pressure release valve didn't leak.

It's progress. But I'm not sure what to try next. The next connection down is the in-line screen -- and that's clean. What do you think @Rocket J Squirrel?
Aha, a clue, Holmes! Now you can narrow it down to the leader hose or the feeder hose and replace the one that seems to be obstructing flow.

EDIT: I actually forget what the names are for the 2 hoses, but since you already tried removing the backup valve, it must be the hose from the UWF to the backup valve.

Both pools have it moving at a good clip. Pool #1 is a pentair vsp and the panel raises the rpm when the schedule for the vac is called for. Pool #2 has a single speed pentair but is a big pump as the pool is 30k so the theory of too much pressure is reassuring but as I said before it picks up everything at a good clip so I guess the excess pressure is released back into the water.

I've tried three separate new pressure release valves, all with the same issue. So no debris.

But @Rocket J Squirrel's suggestion to remove everything and try the wall connector by itself DID allow the pressure release valve to stop releasing water. Not sure what that means.
Look at the ID of the swivel as that may be clogged.

Aha, a clue, Holmes! Now you can narrow it down to the leader hose or the feeder hose and replace the one that seems to be obstructing flow.

EDIT: I actually forget what the names are for the 2 hoses, but since you already tried removing the backup valve, it must be the hose from the UWF to the backup valve.
YES! A clue. I just tried removing the in-line filter section and reattached the rest of the hose (sans backup valve and vacuum). Water has started leaking again from the pressure release valve. (Although the pressure coming from the end of the hose is intense, even with the pressure release valve involved! It was dancing around like a hypnotized cobra.)

The hoses are old. (I didn't even know the different sections had different names.) Should I take them all apart to check for clogs? What should I look for at the swivel joints?

So if we think it is a clog in the hose or swivel. I would do the following
Remove the screen from the inline filter so you have full flow. It is confusing that you removed it and the PRV started leaking but it was not leaking when connected.
Connect each hose individually - without any swivel and blowout what ever is in it.
You should have 1 long hose or 2 shorter hoses connected with a swivel.
Look at the ID of swivel if it is full bore.

So if we think it is a clog in the hose or swivel. I would do the following
Remove the screen from the inline filter so you have full flow. It is confusing that you removed it and the PRV started leaking but it was not leaking when connected.
Connect each hose individually - without any swivel and blowout what ever is in it.
You should have 1 long hose or 2 shorter hoses connected with a swivel.
Look at the ID of swivel if it is full bore.
To clarify: The pressure release valve leaks when the hose is attached, with or without the inline filter. The only time it didn't leak was when I had ONLY the wall connector hooked up with no hoses, nothing after, nada.

I have a large pool, so I have two swivels plus 3 hoses between the inline screen and the backup valve. I can take it apart, piece by piece, but the hoses are stiff and the nuts are tight, so it will take a while.

I'm still not sure what I should be looking for on the swivels. Can you direct me there?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Take the hose off before the backup valve and note the pressure of water coming out. Then reconnect the hose and take it off at the cleaner. If the water pressure is different then it's the backup valve, if not, the problem is inside the Polaris cleaner.

Take the hose off before the backup valve and note the pressure of water coming out. Then reconnect the hose and take it off at the cleaner. If the water pressure is different then it's the backup valve, if not, the problem is inside the Polaris cleaner.
How would I measure the pressure of the water coming out of the hose?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.