Water Chemistry - My Experience

M T

May 18, 2021
SF Bay Area, California
Moved from HERE

I tend to document what I do in a similar way to Chem Geek: find detail at various web pages and depend upon links to be able to track them down again. Unfortunately, as the web approaches 30, many older links have died. In some cases (Thank You archive.org!!) you may be able to find them again, but many get lost, as has happened with earlier links into forums of TFP.

Partly out of curiosity and partly out of interest in the subject, I chased down a few of the links in these old but seminal posts.

Here are archived versions of some of the links in this thread. (For links outside TFP, see if archive.org has them archived.)
Post #4: ppmorp.pdf (Commercial Spas Study, Portland, Oregon)
ORP.htm
ORP-FCsort.htm
Post #5: This link shows that indeed CYA does absorb UV at the pH found in pools
This link gives an extinction coefficient for Cyanuric Acid (CYA)...
the absorption of water itself as seen in this link
Post #71: boric acid
Post #72: BABES: a better method than “BBB” for pools with a salt-water chlorine generator,
Extended experimental investigation: The effect of sunlight on the chlorine levels in pools
Post #74: borate surface tension

Unfortunately, many of the internal links to TFP are dead. But you can try to search for them via Advanced Search and specify the date of the reference. That won't do any good when the links just describe the link as "here" or "this thread" or "this post". I notice that there are texts in which (some of) the links have been removed ("here" without a link). But for the "broken links" mentioned in the previous message, the wording allows you to find them by searching.
Equations for Chlorine Chemistry
Oxidation-Reduction Potential (ORP) vs HOCl
You may also find references to files by using the same pattern of link as in the above ORP.htm, where you add
https://www.troublefreepool.com/~richardfalk/pool/
before the file name

Post #5: This link shows that indeed CYA does absorb UV at the pH found in pools

Appreciate the effort, thanks for that. As you said, broken TFP internal links can often be retrieved via the TFP search. But I did stumble across many broken external links - great idea to go via archive.org.

While you're at it - the link in above quote ends at a dudd. Probably missing the reference via archive.org?

Part of the problem is that TFP transitioned on the backend from vBulletin to Xenforo about 5-6 years ago (@Leebo remembers this well). TFP was growing at the time and vBulletin was just getting worse and worse. During the transition we knew that a lot of links would be broken and irretrievable so we had to weigh that against utilizing a more modern forum software ecosystem. The benefits of switching to Xenforo , and then being able to utilize more modern mobile device technology, far outweighed the cost of losing a few old links. Tough as that might be on those looking for more detailed/in-depth knowledge, TFP needed to modernize and sacrifices had to be made.

But thanks for looking up those links.

Reactions: Donldson and mgtfp
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.