Gold Supporter
Jun 6, 2017
Minnesota
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
One night last week I started draining down the pool and brought the pump and filter inside the garage for the winter. My water chemistry was perfect for the winter with a CYA of 30 and FC of 12.

The next day I realized I used too long of a pipe causing way too much water to be removed. I refilled it and tossed in some liquid chlorine. Now I'm sitting at a CYA far less than 30 (my test kit only goes down to 30) and apparently too much chlorine as the FC is at 17.

If I leave the FC that high over winter am I at risk of it bleaching the liner?
How bad would it be to just fill it up with more water and drain it down again to dilute the FC?

Once I have FC at a reasonable level can I just keep it closed with the CYA being way too low and the FC floating somewhere around 10-12? If I'm not at risk of harming the pool itself, I can just plan to shock it and get things balanced in the spring when the pump and filter are back online.

#imdumb. :laughblue:

I doubt the FC stayed that high for long. Was the pool immediately covered?

I do not see any reason to mess with anything. Let it be.

I still do not see any reason to take any action. The FC is not high and is not a threat to your liner.

I still do not see any reason to take any action. The FC is not high and is not a threat to your liner.
Thanks, so even though the CYA is very low, this level of FC isn't a threat? I've previously kept a close eye on the CYA/FC chart and this is way outside the SLAM or recommended range.

Thanks again. You're making me feel much better about the current state!

The SLAM level limitation is primarily for the comfort of humans. Being a bit above it is not harmful to the equipment.

Reactions: negativez0
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.