Water chemistry, about to start addition of boric acid...

Interesting experience with Discount salt water pools. Still no verification was sent at this time. I've checked online and called my credit card department for the past few days. So I called again today, spoke with Sonny, apparently a general manager.

Honestly, surprisingly a pretty rude conversation. He cut me off mid speak several times and placed me on hold without much warning. I mentioned that this had been a frustrating experience as I've just burned two days. He insisted that the order was placed on Monday, I agreed that it was placed late on Sunday, and then he cut me off saying that he was going to cancel the order and then killed the connection

I realize that this fraud verification is to protect them against people making fraudulent purchases. It's not the first time that I've had to verify this. And while it's an inconvenience as a person that has been the victim of fraud on many levels this is somewhat understandable. But being treated that way on the phone disconcerting.

Last edited:
Interesting experience with Discount salt water pools. Still no verification was sent at this time. I've checked online and called my credit card department. So I called again today, spoke with Sonny Adams, apparently a general manager.

Honestly, surprisingly a pretty rude conversation. He cut me off mid speak several times and placed me on hold without much warning. I mentioned that this had been a frustrating experience as I've just burned two days. He insisted that the order was placed on Monday, I agreed that it was placed late on Sunday, and then he cut me off saying that he was going to cancel the order and then killed the connection

Interesting as discount salt pools has been pretty positively reviewed on this site.
I think I bought my RJ60 from them. No issues. But any time I’ve ordered something online on a weekend it’s nearly never shipped out on a weekend. So 2 day shipping would likely start from Monday meaning you’de get it on Thursday. Lots of times the fast shipping is a waste of money. At least that’s been my experience.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I called back to speak to someone regarding the call and spoke with Ashley, and was told that someone would call me back.

And well Sonny called me back. I asked to speak with someone else and he told me he was it. He then told me that he could cancel the order or re-instate is. He told me that I told him to cancel the order. I responded that I never mentioned cancelling the order, rather he said that immediately before breaking the connection. He said it was because they just got fiber installed. He again said that it was because I wanted to cancel the order.

At this point, I told him I wanted to speak to someone above him regarding out last conversation. He insisted that was him. I asked him if he was the owner of the company. To which he said no. At this point I told him that I wanted to speak to someone regarding his behavior during the last conversation, and I did not think we were going to reach an agreement.

To his credit Sonny did sound a bit more friendly during this conversation.

• Wow
I think I bought my RJ60 from them. No issues. But any time I’ve ordered something online on a weekend it’s nearly never shipped out on a weekend. So 2 day shipping would likely start from Monday meaning you’de get it on Thursday. Lots of times the fast shipping is a waste of money. At least that’s been my experience.

Oh, I didn't really expect it to be sent out on the weekend, as I ordered it at 11:30p Sunday night. I added two day shipping to try to get it by Wednesday or Thursday. When the verification came through it mentioned 1-2 days so I chalked it up to the verification coming through on Wednesday and hopefully having it by Friday. Waking up Wednesday and no verification was a surprise and pretty much dashed any hopes of having it installed by this week.

Being treated that rudely on the phone was the proverbial cherry on top.

Last edited:
After spending some time collecting myself I again tried to speak to someone.

So Sonny's main position is fraud. After hearing this I suppose you can't totally lay the blame on one person. If you're dealing with fraud everyday then unfortunately, the skeptical side of you beings looking at everyone as potential fraud. If all you are given is a hammer then everything begins to look like a nail I suppose. As normal if you have a large fraud problem, then unfortunately, there are legitament customers that will be caught in that net, and I think that's likely what happened here.

After spending some time collecting myself I again tried to speak to someone.

So Sonny's main position is fraud. After hearing this I suppose you can't totally lay the blame on one person. If you're dealing with fraud everyday then unfortunately, the skeptical side of you beings looking at everyone as potential fraud. If all you are given is a hammer then everything begins to look like a nail I suppose. As normal if you have a large fraud problem, then unfortunately, there are legitament customers that will be caught in that net, and I think that's likely what happened here.
I don’t get the fraud thing. I assumed your credit card company denied it? Why would the supplier stop shipment for fraud?

I don’t get the fraud thing. I assumed your credit card company denied it? Why would the supplier stop shipment for fraud?

The third party that processes credit card payments for them flagged the transaction. My credit card company had the charge go pending as normal (monday and tuesday), and then it came off pending to being a charge as of this morning.

The third party that processes credit card payments for them flagged the transaction. My credit card company had the charge go pending as normal (monday and tuesday), and then it came off pending to being a charge as of this morning.
Weird, never had that happen before. It’s always my card company that tries detecting fraud. Most of the time it’s after reloading my Chick-fil-A card twice for the same amount because dinner for 4 seems to always cost just over $25 and the default reload amount for the card is $25. Almost like they do that on purpose.:laughblue:

Fc 4.5, CC 0, Ta 90, pH 8.0, calcium 675.

I've been adding liquid chlorine everyday to keep the fc up. It's been about 2 weeks since the borates was added, so a rise to 90 Ta and pH 8.0 does appear to have slowed the rise a bit.

I'll check CYA and salt tomorrow during the day. I'll probably be checking the calcium again as it's a significant rise from the last test.

As for the SWG there's been more complications in getting it shipped with further delays through last week. It appears as though it was shipped today and should be here hopefully sometime this week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
so a rise to 90 Ta and pH 8.0 does appear to have slowed the rise a bit.

Just to avoid confusion: A rise in TA would actually speed up the pH-rise. Higher TA -> more dissolved CO2 -> more CO2 outgassing -> faster pH-rise. The pH-ceiling at which the rise stops is also higher at higher TA. But yes, at higher pH, the rise slows down.

4.5, CC 0, Ta 90, pH 8.0, calcium 675.

With such a high CH your CSI will be likely well above 0.3 at pH 8.0 and TA 90, depending on your other parameters and temperature.

Are you logging CSI in Poolmath?

In preparation of the arrival of your new SWG you should make a plan how to keep CSI between -0.3 and 0 to avoid scaling on the cell plates.

Borates will help a great deal to minimise scaling inside the cell, but you will likely have to keep a cap on TA and pH.

Just to avoid confusion: A rise in TA would actually speed up the pH-rise. Higher TA -> more dissolved CO2 -> more CO2 outgassing -> faster pH-rise. The pH-ceiling at which the rise stops is also higher at higher TA. But yes, at higher pH, the rise slows down.

With such a high CH your CSI will be likely well above 0.3 at pH 8.0 and TA 90, depending on your other parameters and temperature.

Are you logging CSI in Poolmath?

In preparation of the arrival of your new SWG you should make a plan how to keep CSI between -0.3 and 0 to avoid scaling on the cell plates.

Borates will help a great deal to minimise scaling inside the cell, but you will likely have to keep a cap on TA and pH.

I'm a bit suspect of the CH, as that a major rise since the last reading at 575. There is an automatic filler, and I know the fill water is likely to be high CH but I didn't think it was that high, and there's been a few storms passing through the last few weeks.

With the CH that high the CSI is 0.4. I plan on rerunning the CH test today with the CYA and salt to confirm. It looks like by adjusting pH and Ta I should be able to get CSI back into the normal range. I probably should be checking Ta and pH weekly still to keep those in range.

Reactions: mgtfp
CH 600, salt 3400, cya 70, pH 7.2, Ta 80

With this CSI is now 0.

What's your water temperature?

When I enter these numbers (plus 50ppm borates and 30°C temperature) into PoolMath, I get CSI=-0.32.

pH 7.2 is not realistic to maintain, but those numbers would give you a pH window up to about 7.6.

Better would be to keep your TA still a bit lower. Together with the borates buffering to limit localised high pH inside the cell, you should be able to keep the cell clean for now. But CH will keep rising, so you should figure out a way to reduce CH.

Odd, water temperature is roughly 85 degrees F, when I put those numbers in yesterday I swear I got 0, but I must have fat fingered something. I intend to drop Ta further to 70 after getting pH to rise, that should get my CSI in a better position.

RJ-60 appears to have been delivered so I'll be wrestling with that today and possibly tomorrow.

Reactions: mgtfp
RJ-60 is in. I didn't add any chlorine last night and just ran it from for about 16 hours at 75%. Dialed back to 60%.

FC 8.0, pH 7.6, Ta 80. Added acid to bring pH down to 7.2 to push Ta down.

CSI, unless I fat fingered, 0.05.

FC 10, pH 7.4, Ta 80.

Since the RJ produces a little over 3x more than the truclear I think 30-40% is likely where it'll end up, so I'm backing down to 40%. As this thread has strayed quite a bit from the original intent, I think I'm going to go ahead and leave this post to the archives at this point. Perhaps update in the future if anything related to the addition of borates comes up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.