Wasn't expecting a pool?!

I'll do the bucket test after new year , kids are having too much fun and splashing to do this test.

Few things I found out about the pool , I found a drawer with manuals and receipts .

It a pretty old pool , but wasn't cheap at the time.

Pool was built in 1988 :mad: at a cost of $26,000

26,000 or 6780 gal

Concrete with pebblecrete and steel reinforced

Swg chlorinated

It also has installed what's called a badu supersport with its own pump wired 3 phase power , creates a river when switched on .

I also notes rows of black rubber tubing on the roof plumber to another pump and panel with temp.
I presume heater.

Another pump for the spa, with a button next to the spa for bubbles and an air switch in the pool room for spa jets.

Not bad huh?!?

Just an update ,

Not really happy with the surface of the pool , yes the kids have been swimming and enjoying it , but in two weeks of swimming all the kids have grazed toes / ankles etc to the point of bleeding on a daily basis.

And the kids range from a 4 year old to 11 year old.

The surface is quite abraisive.

Is the pebble finish worn out , thus making it more abraisive ?

In my experience that's just part of being a kid and swimming in a plaster pool...I remember it happening to me when I was a kid, and my wife likes to bounce on her tiptoes in the pool so it happens to her big toes sometimes too. Feet will toughen up.

I'm toying with the idea of resurfacing , what options do I have that wont break the bank.

The rough surface is part of it , the other reason is I think this pool has black algae roots embedded deep in the surface , I wire brushed the entire pool few weeks ago raised the chlorine to 12ppm and have slowly let it drop to 5ppm testing daily & while brush with standard nylon brush daily, and sure enough around the edges of the stairs / spa it's flaring up again , the water is crystal clear and chemistry is spot on.

You need to follow the SLAM process correctly to eradicate the algae ... Although the black algae can be a pain.

The only thing that would be very smooth would be a vinyl liner or fiberglass and neither is really an option for you.

How bout fibreglassing over the pebble surface , I know for many die hards this is blasphemy, but I can't help thinking this would solve the abraisive surface and put a barrier over the black algae as well as waterproofing the pool and creating a chemically inert surface.

I mean is this even doable over pebble surface?

Depends what you consider a fortune , I had a reputable company quote me 5k to do both pool and spa ... Lets not forget mine is only small at 6-7k gal

That's fibreglassing till the tile line , an extra thousand to do all the way to the coping and a new tile line applied.

That's empty , prep the surface , fg and refill the pool , they reakon 7-10 and you'll be swimming again.

One scrubbing is not going to rid it of black algae. It will take diligence and time....by far the best, but most labor-intensive way, is to get a small steel brush (maybe 1x3 inches max), goggles, and dive down and really scrub the individual spots rather than just brushing the whole area. Every time you get in the pool do a little bit, and you'll be done before you know it. I use a concret block to hold me down there...makes it easier.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tell me the negatives to fg the pool other than initial cost.

He actually just sent me the written quote to fibreglass

I've attached part of the quote that shows the process , does this sound good?

And it comes with a seven year guarantee ( not pro rata)

2A3253AE-7BE3-44D5-B65A-63CB5584486F-664-0000015109510EB6_zpsc3868a87.jpg

Melt In The Sun said:
One scrubbing is not going to rid it of black algae. It will take diligence and time....by far the best, but most labor-intensive way, is to get a small steel brush (maybe 1x3 inches max), goggles, and dive down and really scrub the individual spots rather than just brushing the whole area. Every time you get in the pool do a little bit, and you'll be done before you know it. I use a concret block to hold me down there...makes it easier.

I'm not going in my pool with concrete shoes or blocks , lol sorry I had a chuckle when I read that :)

Put it this way I scrubbed the pool so hard that I have been finding wire pins/bristles in my pool, f$&@ a bunch of that.

If I cant get a reasonable solution , I'll be punching holes in the bottom and turning it into a flower bed. :d

Ok , maybe I overreacted in my previous comments.

Rang aroung a few places today to get some opinions as well as reading more through these forums.

Seems the fibreglass is not a long term solution and cases of de laminations as well as bubbling and the enormous task of removal if it does fail down the road is turning me off it.

To my surprise , according to the people I called to redo the pool in stone scape and quartzon would be around the same price.

What do you think of these surfaces?

I'm not going to rush into anything I'll regret.

I'm definately going to do something as the current pebble crete is rough and has a lot of tan pebbles which gives the water a greenish color.

This was in the middle I the day today, crystal clear water but probably as blue as it gets.

2CF24B71-3E19-47B9-8E1F-7F2004B40E31-597-000000D38D50C003_zps92cfec82.jpg

I really want that blue pool color

Since the surface is too rough and the color is wrong, about your only long term solution is a replaster.

Anything else will be stop-gap and will likely not hold up more than a few years.

Tan gives green water, but a resurface of a good Quartz finish would be a great solution, and it is smoother than pebble. I don't know what Quartzon is.
Lots of colors and brands to choose from. NPT, CLI, and Wet Edge all have great reputations for these surfaces.

Whatever you do I would suggest waiting until after the swim season to do it, there is nothing like having a pool you can't swim in for several weeks in the middle of the swim season, just sitting their taunting you.

Ok I've left the bucket 24hr and the water lowered at the same rate about 1mm with the pump off

Last night I set the bucket again but this time with the pump running over night.

This morning , inside the bucket unchanged , but outside had lowered but 2-3mm so I think we have a leak!

Where to start looking ? I've had a look around the the pump / cell and whether pipes are visible but all seem dry and the the ground in and around the pump area seems dry.

Any ideas?

I has noticed that on both return lines inside the pool ( not the spa) have tiny champagne size bubbles coming out, does this indicate pressure or suction side leak?

Thanks in advance

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.