Warning About Walmart Liquid Chlorine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once all the CYA is dissolved it should register on the test. Y'all are supposed to get a ton of rain so I would drain down 3 or 4" before it hits if possible. After the storm bump it up to slam level if you have a lot of debris in the water. Otherwise treat it like you would after any other heavy rain.

Thanks for the warning. We just started buying the Pool Essentials liquid chlorine from Walmart. I added chlorine at noon today and you made me run out at 3:30 to check my level after the addition. I was already down to FC 4 when I put in enough for about FC 6. So now I am wondering if it ever even got to the FC 6 I was shooting for. So I just added more to get it to FC 6 and will check in about half hour and see where I am at. Yes, it is hot out, but I am still curious where the new addition got the FC level to. And the solar blanket is on the pool. I will let you know soon. ;) Also, can someone tell me what the date is when it says: 16 190 07:15
Thanks guys!
Sherry

Thank you. That's what I was afraid of. ;( I just went out to the garage and checked the dates on the rest of the bottles. Out of 9 left, 3 are the date I told you and 6 have a date of 17 122 so I think that means April 2017, right? Those are okay, correct? That explains why my FC readings are a little lower than expected. I'll just use up the old ones and add more if need be. Then hopefully the others will be better.

Thank you to the original poster for bringing this to my attention. And it would be nice if they could just use a regular date code instead of the weird code on these bottles. LOL
Sherry

I have the paranoia after reading this post too. I was sniffing my bottles and thought they had no smell and was like dam it. I didn't do a pre test but blindly added 24 oz of it then tested about an hour later and was at 8 FC so think I am good. Can it not have a strong "bleach" smell but still be good?

I bought 6 gallons of that Wally World stuff. Didn't get jack from it. Went to Bernard's and got some splash brand "shock" the 12.5 juice. Put in 3 every 24, got
Home from work today figured it was too cool to swim and dumped 2 in for giggles. Blew the free and total off the charts. Wich I guess is what I have been expecting to happen. And finally did.

Thank you. Then I will just make sure to check the dates better and monitor my FC after I dose the pool. And the older stuff still works, just have to use more which kinda defeats the purpose of buying higher percentage. LOL I am going to check how far off the older bottles are tomorrow after I put it in the pool.
Sherry

- - - Updated - - -

Bryan,
I will check how strong the smell is between my older bottles and my newer bottles and let you know what I find. And also hopefully the difference in FC between the old and new.
Sherry

Wow, that's unfortunate. Appreciate the heads up, as I just purchased 2 cases of the same chlorine. Dates are recent and my Walmart keeps it inside the store. Doesn't mean it hasn't been playing in the heat at some point. So far, so good. I keep a Julian Calendar on my phone for quick reference when shopping my chlorine, in case of a senior moment.

https://www.calendarlabs.com/view/2017-yearly-julian-calendar/743

Lilypad,

A-1 at Custer and Spring Creek has 12.5% for $5 a gallon. What is Wally World charging?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you to the original poster for bringing this to my attention. And it would be nice if they could just use a regular date code instead of the weird code on these bottles. LOL
Sherry

You are quite welcome and I totally agree with you!!
On another note: Just tested my pool and FC is somewhere around 6, maybe 6.5 and my cya is at 50. Haven't received too much rain yet, but I know it's coming so I've prepared as suggested. :)
SO thankful for this forum!

- - - Updated - - -

I have the paranoia after reading this post too. I was sniffing my bottles and thought they had no smell and was like dam it. I didn't do a pre test but blindly added 24 oz of it then tested about an hour later and was at 8 FC so think I am good. Can it not have a strong "bleach" smell but still be good?

To be clear: I didn't get suspicious enough to smell mine until my pool turned into a swamp. AFTER I had added approximately 6 gallons of the Pool Essentials Liquid Chlorine in less than 10 days. So, I would use testing as your primary guide, but if your levels aren't coming up, then maybe check your bottles. ;)

I just bought some of said Pool Essentials 10%, it had almost no bleach smell, but worked as expected. Here's a question: Is all bleach created equal? In other word, does the way it is produced matter. When I called a local pool store to inquire about liquid chlorine, they really pushed the way it is made. Is FC just FC, CHEMICALLY? Or would an "inferior" product not be as effective, or last as long?

I just bought some of said Pool Essentials 10%, it had almost no bleach smell, but worked as expected. Here's a question: Is all bleach created equal? In other word, does the way it is produced matter. When I called a local pool store to inquire about liquid chlorine, they really pushed the way it is made. Is FC just FC, CHEMICALLY? Or would an "inferior" product not be as effective, or last as long?

ump that is an awesome question and one that comes up often. I am going to put in a call to our chemical guy and see what he has to say.

:hug:

Kim:kim:

Liquid chlorine (or bleach) is nothing more than 4 ingredients -

1. Water (majority)
2. Sodium hypochlorite (what you want)
3. Sodium hydroxide, or lye
4. Salt

The process of making liquid chlorine starts with brackish salt water and sodium hydroxide. A special electrolysis reaction converts some of the salt into sodium hypochlorite. The reaction is run until a specific concentration is reached and then that resulting mixture is diluted to various strengths as needed. It's a little more complicate than that, but that's basically what happens.

There are a number of things that can wrong -

1. If the pH is not set high enough (not enough lye in solution), then the hypochlorite is not stable and will breakdown into oxygen and chloride salt faster. Typically you want the pH of a bleach solution to be above 12.

2. Trace impurities from the manufacturing process, such as iron, nickel, etc., can lead to a faster breakdown rate even when the pH is high. If the manufacturer doesn't use care in making sure the input water is clean or doesn't properly setup the manufacturing equipment with as little exposed metal as possible, then trace impurities can enter the product stream and cause problems. Many high-end chlorine manufacturers will use extra filtration steps at the end to remove metallic impurities.

3. Improper storage is by far the most common problem. When bleach is allowed to be stored in excessive heat, the breakdown of hypochlorite is faster.

I have, on occasion, purchased bleach for my pool. I have always been floored to find bleach bottles with date codes on them that are over a year old. At that point, you are basically buying a bottle of salt water with some very minor amounts of hypochlorite in it. This is why TFP ALWAYS recommends you check the date codes on the bottle before you purchase it.

Smell is not a good indicator. Fresh bleach will have almost no detectable odor to it. What does cause a "bleach" smell is the bleach vapors getting up into your nose and then the hypochlorite reacts with the mucous membranes in your nose causing chloramines to form. The chloramines are what causes you to "smell" bleach and everybody's nose is different with different threshold levels of detection. If you pour the bleach into your pool and you get the expected FC rise, then the bleach was roughly the correct concentration.

Reactions: Davekro

Smell is not a good indicator. Fresh bleach will have almost no detectable odor to it. What does cause a "bleach" smell is the bleach vapors getting up into your nose and then the hypochlorite reacts with the mucous membranes in your nose causing chloramines to form. The chloramines are what causes you to "smell" bleach and everybody's nose is different with different threshold levels of detection. ....

Thanks for that tidbit. i knew smell was subjective and that the smell of improperly treated pools was likely chloramines, but did not associate the "smell" of fresh bleach to chloramines in the nose!

Smell is not a good indicator. Fresh bleach will have almost no detectable odor to it. What does cause a "bleach" smell is the bleach vapors getting up into your nose and then the hypochlorite reacts with the mucous membranes in your nose causing chloramines to form. The chloramines are what causes you to "smell" bleach and everybody's nose is different with different threshold levels of detection.

This. I have purchased many thousands of gallons over my lifetime. Fresh "hot" 12.5% has almost no odor.

In the pressure washing business we dip a finger to test. Greater than 8% will turn the dead skin on your finger white in seconds and your finger will begin to feel quite warm. The faster and warmer, the stronger. Be sure to rinse you nice pink exfoliated finger well because strong bleach will burn you. ;)

I can't find the exact thread right now but you can test the concentration of chlorine like this:

1: Take 10mL chlorine and add to 1L of water (preferably distilled or at least non-chlorinated water; having extra chlorine in the water from a city water supply will screw up the readings). It's probably a good idea to use a syringe to get a precise reading.

2: Mix thoroughly, and rinse out the syringe you used earlier. Now take 10mL of the (10mL bleach + 1L chlorine) solution, and add that to a second 1L of clean non-chlorinated water.

3: Mix this second batch thoroughly and like before, rinse out your syringes. You take a 10mL sample of this and test as you normally would with your FAS-DPD kit.

I just did this last night on some generic brand bleach my local grocery store has on sale and it worked very well. There was very little 'chlorine smell' upon opening the jug and un-sealing it, but this test verified the chlorine concentration.

If you have insulin syringes, the above process equates to 10 units of bleach per 1L of water.

This seems to yield 1/10,000 reduction. Bleach is approximately 10ppm/ percent. That means 5.25% should test at 52.5ppm. Is that your experience?

Well, I checked FC at 9:30 am this morning and it was at 4.5. I added 36oz of the old liquid chlorine and checked it about 45 minutes later and it read FC at 5.0 when I was going for 6.0. The solar blanket had been on all morning. Then I checked again at 11:15 and the blanket had been off since the last testing. The FC registered at 4.5. So the old chlorine never got to the 6.0 that I was shooting for. So either the chlorine is weak or my pool gallons are off. I am going to use the one regular Walmart bleach bottle I have later today and see what happens. Will let you know what happens. Will either show the old chlorine is weak (probably) or my pool gallons are not quite right. Will be interesting.

Does anyone know how long I have to wait to check FC after adding the bleach?
Sherry

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.