Want to Purchase Robot After Installing VS Pump

Jun 16, 2015
Voorhees, NJ
My pump died last year, and I replaced it with a Pentair IntelliFlo VS. I love the variable speed feature, but it made my Polaris 360 unusable. I had tried setting it at high speed for a couple hours, and it didn't help as much as I had hoped. I'd like to just get a standalone robot, so I don't have to worry about it. I know most would say to go with the Dolphin S200 (or maybe the S300, if I want the extra bluetooth, etc). I just wanted to see if there is anything else that I should consider. The Polaris units seem interesting (ALPHA iQ+, VRX iQ+, etc), but I don't know if I'm just falling for marketing hype. I'm flexible in terms of cost. I don't mind paying more if it means a better overall product.

I normally would leave the Polaris 360 in the pool at all times. It would run when the pump was on. Is it okay to do the same with this unit, or should it be removed when not in use?

I appreciate any input, suggestions, etc.

Last edited:
If you have insomnia and need to read 18 pages of a boring 5 year history of my cleaner saga, check out my signature, there’s a link.

TL;DR - I went from a suction cleaner to a robot and back to a suction cleaner again. I’m currently trying to rebuild my broken bot. They are good cleaners especially if you have the various different filter panels for them BUT they only last about 5 years before a major malfunction will happen and then you have to bite the bullet - expensive repair versus buying brand new. I hated being forced into that choice so I have thumbed my nose at the Maytronics gods and I’m rebuilding mine for as cheap as I can. If I’m successful, I’ll have both a robot and a suction cleaner.

Summary - it’s unlikely I will ever buy a robot again, the way the market is structured and the price point is ridiculous.

My pump died last year, and I replaced it with a Pentair IntelliFlo VS. I love the variable speed feature, but it made my Polaris 360 unusable. I had tried setting it at high speed for a couple hours, and it didn't help as much as I had hoped. I'd like to just get a standalone robot, so I don't have to worry about it. I know most would say to go with the Dolphin S200 (or maybe the S300, if I want the extra bluetooth, etc). I just wanted to see if there is anything else that I should consider. The Polaris units seem interesting (ALPHA iQ+, VRX iQ+, etc), but I don't know if I'm just falling for marketing hype. I'm flexible in terms of cost. I don't mind paying more if it means a better overall product.

I normally would leave the Polaris 360 in the pool at all times. It would run when the pump was on. Is it okay to do the same with this unit, or should it be removed when not in use?

I appreciate any input, suggestions, etc.
I am in a similar spot. My booster pump died; no clue how old it is, predates me owning the pool.

I too would just leave the polaris in the pool. I'd use the VFD to ramp up and a timer on the booster to clean the pool daily for a few hours. Everyone seems to be saying 'robot, robot, robot' but I'm just leery. Pumps last forever...

I am in a similar spot. My booster pump died; no clue how old it is, predates me owning the pool.

I too would just leave the polaris in the pool. I'd use the VFD to ramp up and a timer on the booster to clean the pool daily for a few hours. Everyone seems to be saying 'robot, robot, robot' but I'm just leery. Pumps last forever...

Standard PB-60 type booster pump costs about $400 brand new. If your Polaris is still working, why switch? A new robot goes for around $700. In 5 years you’ll likely be buying a new one.

Fix or replace what you have is the cheapest/simplest option.

Get a bot if you can find one and afford one. It will remove dirt, dust and small debris from your pool system unlike other cleaners, is independant of your pump and will not load up your filter. If you have a rough pebble pool surface expect more wear on treads and brushes requiring replacement. Pull it out of your pool, clean and store it properly after each run, my opinion. I also like using and viewing my clean pool without the cleaning device, cord or hose in the water 24/7.

Last edited:
I would imagine over the life of a robot, the cost/kwh savings adds up pretty significantly for an item that runs many hours per week.

In a high utility rate area, yes, robots give good return on their energy investment. In places like CA where the energy rates are akin to highway robbery, the savings could be substantial.

However, in my own area where rates are lower, the savings are minimal. I can run my suction side cleaner along with my standard POOL mode schedule and pump speed. Therefore I’m skimming, vacuuming and making chlorine all at the same time. If I decouple my cleaner from that process and instead use a robot, the reduction in pump speed and energy usage is offset somewhat by the robot power consumption. The savings difference is pennies on the dollar. So there’s really no ROI in any meaningful time frame. The robot will die before it ever pays for itself.

Reactions: Toxophilite
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.