Bryleemom0709

Sep 18, 2021
North Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am replacing my pool pump and getting a Jandy 1.75 variable speed. My current one is this one…(photos attached). I guess my question is, will the Jandy pump work ok to replace my current one? They said that my current piping and everything would work, but this is an expensive pump and they have tried to oversell me on chemicals before so I want to make sure the new pump is not too strong?? Or strong enough. My piping is 1.5 if that matters? @Texas Splash you have helped me so much before. I am hoping to get your advice as well.

Attachments

• IMG_9887.jpeg
    IMG_9887.jpeg
    369.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9888.jpeg
    IMG_9888.jpeg
    359.5 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Texas Splash
I replaced my 1.5HP single speed pump with a 3HP variable speed model with no issues. I also have 1.5" plumbing. You can set the variable speed as low as you want as long as the skimmers, filter and other system components are doing their job. Running at lower speeds saves a lot on electricity. Look for state efficiency rebates and incentives for variable speed pumps. I saved $300.

Reactions: Bryleemom0709
A Jandy 1.75 variable speed is not too large for your system. It will work fine and you adjust the speed of the pump to work best in your system.

Jandy has a bunch of VS pumps. What model number will you be getting?

Do you have Jandy automation?

How will you be controlling the speeds and schedule of the pump?

A Jandy 1.75 variable speed is not too large for your system. It will work fine and you adjust the speed of the pump to work best in your system.

Jandy has a bunch of VS pumps. What model number will you be getting?

Do you have Jandy automation?

How will you be controlling the speeds and schedule of the pump?
I am not sure of the model number yet, as they just sent me a quote on the price. I will be getting it mid April when they reset my liner. I do not currently have automation. And I am not sure how I will control everything as I currently just flip a switch to turn it on. Sorry to be so dumb about it but I don’t know anything about how the new pump works.

I think you should find out the model number and how the pump will be setup and controlled before you commit to it and not have the possibility of buyers remorse.

Last edited:
Most variable speed pumps have a programmable menu to allow you to set start and stop times and different speeds. My original 1HP single speed pump used to be on a mechanical timer circuit, but now the VSP is always connected to power, running according to the program.
I have mine set to run at minimum speed, and then 2 times a day increases speed to "clean" mode. Ive found it grabs more debris when it runs more water. 25 GPM at low speed, 35 GPM at clean speed. either is more than enough circulation for my 9K pool when running 24/7.

My Betta does most of the work.