Walmart went clorox salt

No they have Pool Essentials liquid chlorine.
Yes. I bought Pool Essentials liquid chlorine. But for salt, they only had Clorox. Seems Home Depot is stocking Diamond Crystal Splash, and if you buy six, it's actually cheaper than Walmart, so I'll pick that up tomorrow.

This was meant to be a PSA--if you are looking for salt and trying to avoid Clorox, Walmart is not your place so far.

Reactions: Newdude
Why don't you go to Lowes, or Home Depot and get water softener salt?
It is usually cheaper than pool salt, and from what I've been reading over the past couple of years, a better quality.

Yeah that happened last year at our Walmart locations. Today picked up TFP-recommended Diamond Crystal Solar Naturals Water Softener Salt at Ace Hardware for 7.69 / 40lb. Tractor Supply is another option. There are many worse deals out there. Lowe's is $9. HD is $10. BJs is $6-something, but too far from me.

It's funny that you say that. Over the years, I've found that Walmart provides the best price and since it's a seasonal item, the salt there tends to be fresher and cleaner. Is there hard data to support this? No. It's anecdotal. When I went to HD tonight, their stock of Diamond Crystal looked gross, and felt hard and clumpy. You could tell that it was old and likely weathered. Ironically, it was a few bucks cheaper than the water softener pellets.

While brand matters (stay away from Clorox at all costs), even "good brands" have bad lots, and poorly stored inventory. I'll likely do exactly what you suggested and head to a different HD or Lowes that has a higher churn rate and a likely fresher supply.

Reactions: Newdude
Last year HDs fancy pool salt was $3 a bag cheaper than the water softener salt so for once I got that one. It's previously always been $8ish for the ws salt and $11ish for the pool salt.