walmart chlorine

filix

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2010
maine
I have been adding liquid bleach to my pool ever since I joined this forum. I was always careful that what I was using was plain regular bleach. Somebody up here in maine got chlorine poisoning from mixing two different types of beach. The bleach that I have been using from walmart was plain bleach, so I thought. Some of the bottles said "with fabric softner" I don't know what that is. So now I buy my bleach from the pool supply area in walmart. Any body else notice fabric softner on the label?

I have been adding liquid bleach to my pool ever since I joined this forum. I was always careful that what I was using was plain regular bleach. Somebody up here in maine got chlorine poisoning from mixing two different types of beach. The bleach that I have been using from walmart was plain bleach, so I thought. Some of the bottles said "with fabric softner" I don't know what that is. So now I buy my bleach from the pool supply area in walmart. Any body else notice fabric softner on the label?
Chlorine poisoning? How?

The fabric softener thing has been a pretty common issue for a while in regular bleach. The pool section of Walmart/Home Depot/pool store is a safer option than the grocery store stuff.

It's what Clorox calls "Cloromax Technology" and it can build up in the pool and present as a film of some sort. Yes, you want to avoid laundry bleach that says it has anything extra like that or scents.

Also I'm dubious that someone got chlorine poisoning from mixing different liquid bleaches. I'm betting a deeper dive will reveal something more to the story. That said, don't mix any pool chemicals in a bucket but once dissolved and dissipated in the pool it's fine.

I looked more into the story. It was not 2 different liquid chlorines that mixed, instead there was a chlorine leak that caused it to mix with another chemical causing a reaction in the area of the leak. Someone who was in the area was exposed to the leak and they were brought to the hospital.

"A chlorine leak was reported at a campground in Naples on Wednesday.
Naples Fire Chief Justin Cox told NEWS CENTER Maine that the leak happened at Naples KOA Holiday Campground on Sebago Road.
Emergency personnel, as well as 14 fire crews, responded to the scene for several hours, Cox said.
According to Cox, the chlorine leak caused two different chemicals to mix, which created a chemical reaction in the area where chemicals are inserted into the pool. The damage was limited to that area."

Reactions: Bperry and Donldson
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.