May 12, 2023
Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi all,

Our shell is just shot three days ago. I have noticed one place where the cardboard is placed there is a string they used for swimout marking string is pushing the cardboard out at one point, so the regular 8 inch wall thickness becomes very thin (my guess is 3-4 in) and then below and around its thick again. Its just this one point and not the whole wall. Any idea if this is going to be an issue. And any recommendations on whether we should fill this with concrete in dtead of dirt? Pics attached although they might not show it properly, i think you all get the idea.

NB its app 18 in below water line..
20230513_191259.jpg

Give us some wider views of what we are looking at?

Is there rebar at that point?

Is the rebar encapsulated by at least 2" of gunite?

Yes, ours also says minimum 6". It is 8" all over, except that spot which to my best measurement is around 4". How should I fix this. If I ask the TB they will probably say all is good, very seldom have I experienced anyone in trades admitting that they were wrong.

I am thinking of two things, either backfill with crushed concrete/gravel/sand. Or mix two three bags of concrete from home depot and dump it there although this won't bind to the pool wall since there is the cardboard between.
It will under all circumstances be filled with dirt after plumbing is done.

Any advice is highly appreciated. (Maybe there is nothing to be worried about, and I am seeing "ghosts").

Attachments

• 20230514_085942.jpg
    20230514_085942.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 8
Steel engineering firms have very good reasons for minimum requirements, it’s not just a random number.
Advise the contractor to see if he takes any action, then possibly have him sign a document stating he has been advised of the situation. You may also advise the city inspector of the situation to see if it’s a concern of theirs.
Ideally the wall needs to be at the correct thickness with a cement product that will adhere to the previous shot wall.

Advise the contractor to see if he takes any action, then possibly have him sign a document stating he has been advised of the situation.
Probably a waste of time doing this. Even if the builder is still in business if/when there's a problem, he'll weasel his way out of it and blame you one way or another. The inspector should have something to say about this (although they typically just look at plumbing/electric and bonding). Why cant he shoot more gunite in behind the thin section?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.