Wait for liner replacement?

Rynz

Jul 1, 2013
Chicago IL
I have 7yr old 15ft Round AGP...Having an issue. On pool floor Im noticing a bunch new divots this year. One along wall floor is maybe 5in wide maybe 3in deep , like maybe sand run off. And a bunch of new smaller ones. Am i at risk of some sort of major problem this year?.....I was wanting to replace my liner anyway . In The Swim has a 25 mil 15 round in stock..Now being mid August , can i wait until beginning of next season or does this seem to need to be done now? Help , thanks all.

Hey Rynz. It’s probably critters somehow after 7 years. Moles, Voles, or other burrowing fellas. Liners stretch a good deal so you’d probably be fine to wait provinding there’s nothing sharp in the new cavities.

Reactions: Rynz
Think its too late in the season for liner replacement?...American Sales and Great Escape are completely sold out of liners..But In the Swim has one ...What to do...Also what else to go with liner order . New gaskets , coping strips , gorilla pad??

Think its too late in the season for liner replacement
Nope. It’s a perfect time if you can score one. You’ll have just enough time to balance it and use it some more before closing. But you can also just start fresh next year if the supplies are better. Tough call, The only thing we are guaranteed is the now.

Also what else to go with liner order . New gaskets , coping strips , gorilla pad
Yes to gaskets. They are cheap and never worth trying to reuse. Keep in mind they are already X years old. Even if they are fine today, they may not make it to the next liner change. As far as the coping strips, cove and gorilla pads it kinda depends on what you find when you cut out the all liner. Sometimes you’re in good shape, sometimes not, sometimes you were missing things in the first place. Hopefully some abovegrounders will be around to assist further. If not there are boatloads of liner replacement threads in the AB section. Read up. :)

Nope. It’s a perfect time if you can score one. You’ll have just enough time to balance it and use it some more before closing. But you can also just start fresh next year if the supplies are better. Tough call, The only thing we are guaranteed is the now.

Yes to gaskets. They are cheap and never worth trying to reuse. Keep in mind they are already X years old. Even if they are fine today, they may not make it to the next liner change. As far as the coping strips, cove and gorilla pads it kinda depends on what you find when you cut out the all liner. Sometimes you’re in good shape, sometimes not, sometimes you were missing things in the first place. Hopefully some abovegrounders will be around to assist further. If not there are boatloads of liner replacement threads in the AB section. Read up. :)
Thanks for the help !

Reactions: Newdude
Rynz, if it were me, I would probably wait and have 1 less Chicago winter wear on that liner as I don't think you are in any imminent need to replace. I replaced my liner completely on my own, not even the help of friends. Oh, I planned to have friends help, but then just decided to take a day off work to prepare and just decided to get rolling. I had some similar questions as you in regards to cove, sand, etc. Also did a lot of work around some rust spots. Definitely make sure to put layers of duct tape over screw lines, or anything that could potentially develop a sharp edge. Here is my thread which may provide answers to your questions or suggest new ones.

Watch a bunch of you tube videos as well so you can pick up little tips. I remember seeing one where the guy taped cardboard flaps to the bottom of his shoes so he could walk around the sand without leaving footprints.

Liners go in easier when they are warm so consider that if you are picking between now and spring. If I could pick any time for my next liner change, it would be Mid July - mid-August. The liner stretches better and it is warm enough for you to get into the pool to work on it while it is filling vs. the cooler weather / water in the spring.

2019 Newdude would have said to start fresh in the spring. 2020 Newdude has seen an abundance of folks end up either unemployed or struggling to stay afloat after being home for months. Add in the supply chain woes and none of us ever would have seen this coming last year, but the message is loud and clear IMHO. All we can guarantee is the now, in our new world.

Rynz, if it were me, I would probably wait and have 1 less Chicago winter wear on that liner as I don't think you are in any imminent need to replace. I replaced my liner completely on my own, not even the help of friends. Oh, I planned to have friends help, but then just decided to take a day off work to prepare and just decided to get rolling. I had some similar questions as you in regards to cove, sand, etc. Also did a lot of work around some rust spots. Definitely make sure to put layers of duct tape over screw lines, or anything that could potentially develop a sharp edge. Here is my thread which may provide answers to your questions or suggest new ones.

Yes thats a great suggestion..One less winter on new liner is a big +. Plus i hate to have to drain all the water , change liner , fill it back up for a few weeks until close. Drain again..Im gonna buy everything needed for a spring liner change. - Liner , new skimmer box, Coping strips, Armor floor liner....any other suggestions. Thanks all for the help

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.