michaelmew

Feb 27, 2023
Carrollton, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello! I'm dialing in my system and would appreciate feedback.

5k pool. VSP. DE filter. Chlorinated (not SWG). Pool is covered when not in use. I also have a heater and heat pump but those do not run daily. We are working adults who are most likely to use the pool in the mornings before work, after work, and on the weekends. @ 3,400 rpm/1,750w, my flowmeter reads 70+gpm (btw, can I determine the head is 72' based on the Jandy reference chart???). I observed water flowing over my weir door and swirling in the skimmer @ 1,200 rpm/110w. The lowest reading on my flowmeter is 30 gpm and this low speed is below that. I'm estimating it is 20 gpm based on the minimum flow rate to operate my heat pump.

At high speed (3,400rpm), I can turnover the water in +/- 1 hour. At the observed lowest rpm for circulation (1,200rpm) I can turnover the water in +/- 4 hours.

Based on the wattage reading, it would cost less electricity to run it at the lower speed for longer. From a chemical/filter POV, it should turnover the water with enough frequency to keep the water healthy.

Taking all this into consideration, I want to set my VSP to run at 1,200 rpm from 6pm until 10am every day and 24/7 on the weekends. Am I on the right track? What would you adjust and why?

Thank you in advance!

-michael

Your main need to run the pump is to distribute chemical (no SWCG and covered). So when you add a chemical, like liquid chlorine every day, run the pump for two hours at 1500 rpm. See how that works.

Reactions: michaelmew
I run 24/7 at 1200-1400 rpms. I have a SWCG so my pool is constantly skimming (have lots of trees), constantly making FC (due to SWCG), and constantly filtering. But I'll tell you - the filtering aspect is far and away the least important. Turnover is a myth - the filter is just what its name implies, a big dumb filter to catch dirt/small debris.

Reactions: michaelmew
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.