Gold Supporter
Jun 13, 2018
Media, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My coupon wizard wife got 2 bottles of vitamin C tablets for free, one with zinc and one without. I put the non-zinc tablets into a tube sock, hit it with a hammer a few times and put it on some stained areas at the bottom of our pool. The results were amazing! My question is, is it ok to also use the tablets with zinc? Will a slight amount of zinc in the water hurt anything?

So this is bad advice?

http://www.poolspanews.com/facilities/maintenance/solving-stains_o

"[FONT=&quot]However, the addition of zinc in these types of systems can prevent corrosion and stop staining. Zinc is very low on the galvanic chart, and is one of the most anodic metals found. In salt chlorine pools, zinc can be added as a solid weight into the skimmer or attached in the circulation system. This slows or stops the corrosion of copper."[/FONT]

So this is bad advice?

http://www.poolspanews.com/facilities/maintenance/solving-stains_o

"[FONT="]However, the addition of zinc in these types of systems can prevent corrosion and stop staining. Zinc is very low on the galvanic chart, and is one of the most anodic metals found. In salt chlorine pools, zinc can be added as a solid weight into the skimmer or attached in the circulation system. This slows or stops the corrosion of copper."[/FONT]
I don't know. I'm not a chemist. All I know is I don't want metals in my pool and since I don't know if those tablets will stain or not, I wouldn't use them.

I nominate you to be our guinea pig. Let us know.

Awesome amigo. I will check it out. I think the staining was a one-time thing, more from stuff coming through my mesh cover than a metals problem in the water. We shall see. The vitamin C worked like a CHAMP! It even took off some stains that I didn't put the sock directly on. The stains first turned black ( which freaked me out because it looked worse than the original) then faded within 2 hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.