Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-3)
Good morning!

I always try to scour the forum for answers before I post, so yes I did do research before asking this! We have an about 15-16,000 fiberglass pool. I realized that the Clorox salt we have been using has been introducing metal into the pool and causing staining. I did a vitamin C test to confirm it's metal. We are going to get our county water tested to see if additional metals are being adding when we refill the pool. After seeing how white the spot was that we tested, we realized how much staining was all over the pool.

So here's my dilemma. We just opened the pool about 2 weeks ago. We have been SLAMing for that duration. We were almost done until a massive storm came in and backtracked us. I know we COULD do a full pool Vitamin C treatment (I read about it in the Pool School), but I do not want to shut the pool down for that long. We may do that before it gets too cold and we close in the fall.

We would like to work on some of the staining over the course of the summer, like small areas at a time using tablets and a sock. A bunch seat here, a couple steps there, etc. How much can we do/use at a time without destroying the chlorine? Like, how many mgs could we use in a sock in a day and then how long would we have to wait between the times we do it? I would love to clean up some of the stains so it doesn't look dingy, but I'm not willing to keep my kids out of the pool for another couple weeks...they are already chomping at the bit to jump in.

Also, do we use a substrate before doing the vitamin C treatments or after? Or does it even matter when? Thank goodness for this website. I refuse to go to pool stores now because I can get all the help I need right here :)
IMG-6185.jpgIMG-6186.jpg

How much can we do/use at a time without destroying the chlorine?
As much as you want. Doing the Vitamin C thing is not nearly as influential as an entire AA treatment.

Also, do we use a substrate before doing the vitamin C treatments or after? Or does it even matter when?
Do you mean sequestrant? I would play it by ear for now. If the stains your remove come back, then you may need to use one periodically. Remember with our FG pools, we can't just dump a lot of water for fresh water after the AA (which is ideal), so you have to go in stages IF you have non-iron fresh water available. Something to consider as you travel down this path of stain control.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.