Virgin pool owner, and looking for help advice and anything

Re: Virgin pool owner, and looking for help advice and anyth

Ok just a follow up. Chlorine cartridge pulled for last 3 days. Fc level was 16.5 today reads 14. I live near Chicago so its been mild . Solar cover always on, filter always on and no swimming at all.

Is this slow a drop off with my conditions normal

~1 ppm FC/day is a pretty low chlorine demand, but with cooler weather, pool in shade (is your pool fairly shady?), no swimming...it might be normal...depends on your particular pool/enviroment/circumstances etc. Any reason to doubt your FC testing?

If the solar cover is opaque, then it would certainly fit. The consumers of FC are organics in the water and sunlight, so if there's nothing getting in and no sun exposure then FC drop will be minimal.

Pool faces west but have some surrounding trees. The solar cover is blue. It's only been in 70's day and 50's at night. Pool temp 76 . I tested via the f100 kit with the Taylor kit still Orange, and the drip test seemed accurate.

Thanks for the help. I'll just keep measuring daily.

Your chlorine loss seems normal to me. I live in MN and lately with my blue solar cover on, I lose about 0.5ppm per day on cloudy days, maybe 1.0-1.5 ppm on sunny days.

finally my FC fell to 8, and my ph 7.5. It was used heavily yesterday so thats why it dropped. So in a day or 2 it should be at normal levels and I can finally start my BBB method.

I did go to In the Swim, and bought a heavy duty winter cover and a leaf cover too place over til all the leaves drop, and a 4x8 air pillow. Plus their winterizing kit.

Of course I have a question the pool store guy said the 7500 gallon kit would work for my pool which is 8600 after I drop my water level below outlet. But here is my question, in the directions it states too put all chemicals in and run filter. So I assume 2 things:
1) If I put chemicals in while normal pool level, get mixed and then drain, will they be dilluted to much and then I am draining some of the chemicals
2) do you drain, then put chemicals in then just put hose from skimmer in the actual pool to mix chemicals to get water into filter and circulate
*** If so should I remove cartridge from the filter as I just want the water and chemicals mixed and not filtered correct. Thanks

Ok added bleach to bring my pool to shock level last night. We have had some cool days and cold nights here in Chicago this week. My plan is to close the pool tomorrow since I am off and I work the following weekend and then we are gone for 2 weeks on vacation. So this weekend is my only chance.

How critical is the 60* water temp, I am sure I am close but I didn't check the temp the past 2 days.

So since I am at shock level, and the winterizing instructions in pool school are pretty simple and don't mention adding a winterizing kit, only polyquat (if my memory serves me well) will I do any harm as far as my level for next spring by using the in the swim winterizing kit?

Any other tips or suggestions on my plan.
(Plan)
Will vaccuum really well, add the winterizing chemicals per kit instructions. Lower water level to below the inlet. I will then remove all the hosing from the filter, and just leave the skimmer and inlet open. insert air pillow, cover with winter cover, then the leaf guard. Then store the filter, pump etc in the shed til next spring

Thanks again.

Hello all....We`re having a 16X32 steel inground pool installed. I`m wondering if we should get that wall foam or some kind wall and floor padding. Can anyone help?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.