Vinyl Pool Liner is Wavy, Bumpy, and "Rocky"

Apr 18, 2016
Oklahoma City, OK
Vinyl Pool Liner is Wavy, Bumpy, and "Rocky"

Hello,

I have an ~8,600 gal in-ground vinyl pool that I converted over to salt water about 5 years ago. The pool liner was replaced at the same time by the company doing the salt water conversion (new pump, filter, salt/chlorine system, heater, and vinyl liner).

Recently, the liner has started fading incredibly quick and the liner is getting wavy/bumpy/and "rocky" looking in texture and feel. Another way to describe the look and feel of the pool liner is like the cratered rocky surface of the moon. I keep a solar blanket on the pool at all times except when it is being used. And I check the chemicals 1-2 times per week and adjusted as needed. I'm having trouble figuring out what is causing the liner to deteriorate so quickly and suddenly and would like to get some ideas before I contact the pool company that did all the work. The liner isn't fading under the drop-in steps or above the water line/level.

I attached some pictures of the liner, but it was difficult to capture the texture of the liner.

Any ideas about what is causing this? Bad quality liner? Bad installation? Pool chemical issue?

And any ideas on how to remedy?

Thanks for any help!!

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add that the liner isn't fading under the pool steps (steps are removable) or above the water line.

Attachments

• IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0319.jpg
    IMG_0319.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0322.jpg
    IMG_0322.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 103
It's hard for me to tell with those pics. Yes, chemicals do take their toll on liners. The sun probably more so, but you said you cover it most of the time. So, the bumps/craggles/lines are new? The only time I've had a new bump/craggle is when I've had a small leak and its allowed water under the liner. But, you would notice water loss. Is that a brown stain in the first pic?

A bad liner or installation would become noticeable much earlier.

I think that a chemistry issue is the most likely cause.

Can you post a full set of test results?

Did you recently begin using the solar cover?

OTPirate: That's a leaf in the picture. Correct, they're new, never had them in any of the previous seasons. Haven't seen any waterloss either

PAGirl: I use a home test kit.

JamesW: Nope, have been using the solar cover all season long (same goes for all previous seasons) and its a new one for this season.

Pool Test Results:

Chlorine Test: Test gave me a result a little darker than 3.0 on the Chlorine color scale so I reduced our cholorinator to 15% from 20% to start
pH Test: Got a ~7.8 on the tester's color scale, so needed to add acid
Acid Demand Test: Only one drop was needed to get it down to ideal (7.6 on their scale) so added 1 cup of acid based on their table.
Salt Test: Got 3200ppm on it, so didn't adjust

I'll go to our local Leslie's Pools and get one of their tests results tomorrow after work.

Thanks again for everyone's help!!

Just for reference, here are the test kits I use:

Deluxe 5 Way Test Kit - Poolmaster

https://www.amazon.com/TAYLOR-TECHNOLOGIES-INC-K-1766-CHLORIDE/dp/B001DO35EU

That is not the most accurate test kit, I use the TF-100 available at tftestkits.net and many on here use the Taylor K2006c (the c is the important part of that part number). Pool School - Test Kits Compared

If you want accurate, repeatable, and reliable results you should pick up a quality test kit. Leslie's is out to make a dime off you every time you come in for your "FREE" test. Whats worse is their results are not repeatable from store to store and often from employee to employee at the same store.

I do agree with the above that if there was an issue with the install it would have shown up much earlier. Fading is typical and will be much more noticeable if you have removable stairs. IMO it is caused by the sun not the chemicals in our pools.

The textured issues you describe could be related to the amount of rain you've had this year. Has it rained more than normal? If so, the ground water may be higher than normal causing hydro static pressure on your liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.