Vinyl pool leak

Jmag34

Jun 7, 2023
US
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Hi all- New vinyl pool owner with a leak as of a few days ago. The leak occurs during day and at night with pump off. Have not been unable to locate any issues with the vinyl yet but I just saw water coming up from the ground where light junction box is (looked like water boiling/simmering on a stove top) is that a definite sign that the light inside the pool is the source of the leak or more complicated than that?

Thank you!

Bubbling/Simmering water from the ground doesn't sound normal (unless you live near Yellowstone ☺️), but I think you're probably on the right path. Aside from seeing the water bubbling, how do you know you have a leak? Did you happen to do a bucket test?

If you could post photos of the light junction box it might help diagnose what your issue is. Alternatively, you said you're a new vinyl pool owner, so if this is a new new pool then I'd just make the pool builder aware of the issue and they should remedy it.

To clarify, I recently moved in so I am the new owner :) The pool is not new although the liner was replaced 2-3 years ago. yes did a bucket leak test.

Here is a photo. you can see some of the standing water but the "bubbling" is right around the pipes but without video hard to see (I assume I cant post a video here, right?)

Attachments

• IMG_1051 Large.jpeg
    IMG_1051 Large.jpeg
    565.1 KB · Views: 7
Ah, so it's not a new new pool, but a regular new pool ;).

Since you say have a leak with and without the pump on, it is probably not in your suction side plumbing. If you wanted to verify, you could plug any returns and skimmers/drains to verify that. I think your intuition that you have an issue with a light seems reasonable to me, but unfortunately I don't have any lights in my pool so I don't have the slightest idea where/how one might be leaking.

Let's ping @Texas Splash and see if he has any ideas.

Reactions: Jmag34
is that a definite sign that the light inside the pool is the source of the leak or more complicated than that?
Well, maybe. We know that with conventional lighting (lightfixture in a niche), water can flow through the conduit all the way back to the J-Box. That is why the J-Box has to be a certain height above the pool's waterline. Normally if there is a break in that conduit it happens back at the pool. I guess it could happen closer to the pad. Do you have a standard (large) halogen light in a niche, or do you have the nicheless 3.5" LED lights?

In your notes above, I only saw where you seem to be losing water with the pump off, is that correct?

Well, maybe. We know that with conventional lighting (lightfixture in a niche), water can flow through the conduit all the way back to the J-Box. That is why the J-Box has to be a certain height above the pool's waterline. Normally if there is a break in that conduit it happens back at the pool. I guess it could happen closer to the pad. Do you have a standard (large) halogen light in a niche, or do you have the nicheless 3.5" LED lights?

In your notes above, I only saw where you seem to be losing water with the pump off, is that correct?
1) Niche: Not positive but here is a photo. My guess would be conventional
2) Losing water 24/7- with pump on during the day and pump off at night
3) To confirm placement, the J-box is 15 feet behind the light fixture. The pad is 25 feet from the J-Box

Attachments

• IMG_1053 Large.jpeg
    IMG_1053 Large.jpeg
    387.5 KB · Views: 4
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.