Vinyl patch near return fitting

Smykowski

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Need some advice from the construction experts.

I have a pool that is on its original liner. It's at least 14 years old, probably closer to 16. Any fix I accomplish is solely to limp it through the summer, because we're likely going to be doing a full replace before next spring.

I have a leak right next to the return fitting that I attempted (poorly) to repair many years ago. The fix has failed, and now the steel wall of the pool is trying to rust through. Because of the location of the damage relative to the fitting, the only way to do a proper patch is to remove the return fitting, patch over the return hole, put in a new gasket, then reinstall the return fitting. My question is: Is there any way to do this without draining the pool to below the level of the return?

I found another user on this forum who had to replace a return fitting, and did it without draining. However, my return is about 8 inches below the water line, so I don't think the coffer dam method would work. Also, because I'm patching the liner first, then replacing the gasket, then reinstalling the return, I don't think I can do it fast enough, and I'm a little leery about the amount of water I would let in between the liner and the wall.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited:
Post pics of the damage you need to repair so we can see what your need to do.

You have an above ground pool? Do you have valves under the return and skimmer? If so then just close the valve. If you do not have valves then you can put them on now by finding something to stick in the return and skimmer holes to stop the water flow.

Reactions: kimkats
Wanted to close this up...

Had an installer come out to talk about repair/replacement. Looks like there's also a leak at the skimmer box on the opposite side of the pool. I'm losing water fast enough that I'm going to let it drop below the leaks, patch the liner, replace the gaskets, and limp it along until we can shop for, buy, and schedule a new pool installation.

Thanks everyone for taking a look.

Reactions: kimkats and Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.