Vinyl Metal Staining from Clorox pool salt.

Jun 13, 2010
Pensacola FL
Hey all,

Just an FYI. With the never ending rain of the gulf coast I've gone through a lot of salt. Usually use mortons pool salt from wally world but this time they had Clorox brand pool salt. Only difference I saw was it was fine granular vs coarse. Dumped in 2 bags but since I was headed out the door I didn't brush to stir it up as usual. I've left salt in the bottom in the past without any problems. When the salt dissolved I was left with 2 light brown stains that wouldn't brush off. I was able to get the stains off with a sock filled with Ascorbic acid. So, if you use Clorox brand salt (which I never will again), make sure you brush it around and don't let it settle.

pH 7.5
Chlorine 4
CYA 45ish
TA 70
Ca++ Negligible

We've had a lot of complaints this year from folks who have experienced this staining with the Clorox salt.

In fact I refuse to buy any of the Clorox pool products as many contain hidden copper which causes those stains too along with green hair. Don't buy any of those products labeled 'blue" or with "trade secret" listed in the ingredients.

Maddie :flower:

I got Clorox salt at Sams club Stain City !!!! And i was stupid enough to buy some more thinking ( it cant be the salt )
Well it was !! to bad cause sams has the best price around , and the bags werent covered in Rat droppings like home depot !!!
Guess Clorox was the lowest bidder !!!!! I also bought some Clorox stablizer , it took twice as much to bring up the CYA !!!
I thing the only good thing they make is Bleach....

I thing the only good thing they make is Bleach....

...and even *that* ya gotta be careful not to buy any of the fancied-up bleaches they make! Between polymers, scents, thickeners, etc...who can keep track of which Clorox product is safe to use for pools?

I'm sticking with Publix 8.25% plain bleach these days since Clorox weakened their jugs down to 6.25% again and with no price drop, along with the polymers.Ugh!

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.