Vinyl Liner Wrinkles in Corner Walls

fahadkhan17

May 31, 2020
Oakville
My vinyl liner has wrinkles in the corners along the wall that developed suddenly over the past week. This is our third season and never had this issue before. No leaks detected using the bucket test and water chemistry maintained regularly. This leads me to a ground water issue but are there tell take signs it is definitely ground water or is there another possibility? Take a look at the picture. The corners in the shallow end have more wrinkles with the deep end only slightly visible.

Attachments

• 747274A2-9D8E-4C15-A546-807744106B59.jpeg
    747274A2-9D8E-4C15-A546-807744106B59.jpeg
    750.9 KB · Views: 34
Sorry you haven’t gotten any replies. That looks to be a ground water issue. Have you had any rain? Diverting run off water away from the pool area is the 1st step to preventing this. If it becomes a regular occurrence or you may need to install a well point.
You can check the water table for your area here
Low ph can also cause wrinkles - can you share your recent test results?

@Mdragger88

No worries, thanks for replying. I am up near Toronto, Ontario. It has been a very dry summer and I did notice this after it had rained over that week but we have had less rain this year than last and there were no wrinkles last year. I have added some more pictures below for your reference. My two questions are as follows:

i) If there is water behind the liner how do I open up the liner to vacuum out the water? I have seen a ton of videos showing how to put a liner back in after it has popped out but no videos on how to get it out.

ii) You mentioned a well point. I have a 2 inch wide open PVC tube sticking out of the ground near the deep end. I thought this could be for drainage so I bought a transfer pump and put the hose down the hole but I could not pull any water. When I drop a pebble down the hole you can hear water but I was not able to pull any. Do I need a different pump and hose or maybe the water has receded? Most of the well point pictures online are really wide that you can drop a submersible pump into, this is not the type of pipe I have so if it is not for drainage then what is it?

Here are my latest water chemistry stats:
FC 6.0
CC 0.0
CYA 40
pH 7.8
TA 70
CH 200

IMG_8994.JPGIMG_8995.JPGIMG_8998.JPGIMG_9011.JPG
IMG_9014.JPGIMG_9015.JPGIMG_9029.JPGIMG_9030.JPG

There’s not much you can do about the water behind /wrinkles in the liner unless you’re willing to drain the pool & re-seat or replace the liner. Any water that’s behind there will eventually absorb into the ground leaving only the wrinkles behind. Some people have had some luck with a plunger 🪠 but you must be gentle/ careful especially if the liner is older or not in good condition.

Ground water can be elusive. Average cumulative rainfall really doesn’t matter that much, it’s more an issue of having more rain/water at one point in time than the ground in that area can handle.

Not sure about the 2” pipe - it doesn’t really resemble a well point so hopefully someone else can help identify what it might be for.

Reactions: fahadkhan17
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.