Vinyl liner replacement.

brasilmom

Jul 23, 2011
Brookfield, WI
Greetings,

Last year our liner gave out. We closed the pool and have not yet opened it. We know a new liner will be needed and have contact couple companies last year. The one we thought was going to be a go, is not being responsive in returning phone calls/emails, thus making me a bit nervous. I am located in SE WI and wonder if anyone here can give a solid recommendation for a liner replacement. If this is not allowed, I apologize in advance.

Thank you much.

Miriam

Out of 4 companies I called, only 1 was responsive. The other 3 never responded with the exception of once asking ME to measure for them to get a quote, then silence after I did that. After deciding to go with the one responsive guy, and giving a deposit, I had a question I emailed him about and got a short 2 word response. Have dealt with pool companies with my business as well and I can say that I don't think there is a less responsive, unprofessional group of businesses (sorry to those pros on here, perhaps this is just limited to my area, but it's been AWFUL dealing with them on a professional or personal level). Still holding out hope the guy we hired is good, responsive and punctual.

Last edited:
Reactions: brasilmom
Out of 4 companies I called, only 1 was responsive. The other 3 never responded with the exception of once asking ME to measure for them to get a quote, then silence after I did that. After deciding to go with the one responsive guy, and giving a deposit, I had a question I emailed him about and got a short 2 word response. Have dealt with pool companies with my business as well and I can say that I don't think there is a less responsive, u professional group of businesses (sorry to those pros on here, perhaps this is just limited to my area, but it's been AWFUL dealing with them on a professional or personal level). Still holding out hope the guy we hired is good, responsive and punctual.
That is awful, sorry to hear about your experience. I am hoping to find someone that actually wants my business, but at this point it is looking more and more difficult. Thank you anyway

That is awful, sorry to hear about your experience. I am hoping to find someone that actually wants my business, but at this point it is looking more and more difficult. Thank you anyway
Yeah, it's unfortunate. This is their busy season, so I get that response time can be a bit longer, but we are a good month plus out from contacting people and couldn't get responses. And nothing gives the warm and fuzzies like a company asking you to take measurements for them so they can provide a quote. They disappeared anyway afterwards. I hope you stumble across that unicorn though and can move forward with your project.

The people finally came out to measure, now we wait. The water looks really not good and I just cannot make myself spend a lot of money keeping the water clean just to dispose of it all. What is the recommendation in this case? Keep it clean? Finish filling it up?

The people finally came out to measure, now we wait. The water looks really not good and I just cannot make myself spend a lot of money keeping the water clean just to dispose of it all. What is the recommendation in this case? Keep it clean? Finish filling it up?
I wouldn't keep it clean if you won't be swimming in it before the liner replacement. But I would go to Lowe's/HD and buy mosquito dunks (probably less than $10). Put them in according to the directions so you don't have a breeding ground. I'd cover the pool back up if it's easy enough. If the liner will be a long wait the water could get stinky though (maybe impacting your enjoyment outside depending on how close the pool is to your sitting area).

I'm a little confused, you said the liner gave out, what does that mean? It sounds like it's holding water if the water does not look good. Can you keep the water in order so you can enjoy the pool until the new liner arrives and is installed? How much do you need to "finish filling it up?" IMO, if you're say 6 weeks out on the liner install, why not fill it up and enjoy it if the liner will hold. You'll be draining no matter what to get the new liner in. Plus, not much difference between Cleveland and Milwaukee weather, so I know how short and precious your swimming season is.

I'm a little confused, you said the liner gave out, what does that mean? It sounds like it's holding water if the water does not look good. Can you keep the water in order so you can enjoy the pool until the new liner arrives and is installed? How much do you need to "finish filling it up?" IMO, if you're say 6 weeks out on the liner install, why not fill it up and enjoy it if the liner will hold. You'll be draining no matter what to get the new liner in. Plus, not much difference between Cleveland and Milwaukee weather, so I know how short and precious your swimming season is.
The liner has a tear on the top part that kept on growing last season. I can add more water and the people came back to take measurements. However, they came back because the manufacturer asked for more measurement,s and just today I was told that they need yet another measurements. I am getting a very cold feet. Is there a good tape I can put in place and enjoy the season and wait until next year? I saw a marine tape that is one continuous roll, but got put off as it is said to be a shrink tape. No idea what does that mean exactly. Thoughts?
Thanks

The liner has a tear on the top part that kept on growing last season. I can add more water and the people came back to take measurements. However, they came back because the manufacturer asked for more measurement,s and just today I was told that they need yet another measurements. I am getting a very cold feet. Is there a good tape I can put in place and enjoy the season and wait until next year? I saw a marine tape that is one continuous roll, but got put off as it is said to be a shrink tape. No idea what does that mean exactly. Thoughts?
Thanks
That’s an awful lot of measurements. I understand measure twice cut once, but measure 4 times? Somebody doesn’t know what they’re doing.

I’m sure there is a good marine tape out there. I don’t have any I can specifically recommend, but FlexTape/Seal makes a ton of amazing products that work in water. I’m sure they have something and I know there are marine tape products designed for boat applications. Any of those should work. The marine shrink tape you found is most likely for shrink wrapping boats for winter storage. I’d find something else to try to tape the liner so you can enjoy the pool until you get your new liner sorted out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’ve had good luck patching my vinyl liner with this stuff. It’s on its second season and still holding. Had a bunch of places in corners that had worn through and we’re rusting. This can even be applied underwater.

Boxer Adhesives No.110 Vinyl Pool Repair Kit Amazon.com

Reactions: TKpoolOH
That’s an awful lot of measurements. I understand measure twice cut once, but measure 4 times? Somebody doesn’t know what they’re doing.

I’m sure there is a good marine tape out there. I don’t have any I can specifically recommend, but FlexTape/Seal makes a ton of amazing products that work in water. I’m sure they have something and I know there are marine tape products designed for boat applications. Any of those should work. The marine shrink tape you found is most likely for shrink wrapping boats for winter storage. I’d find something else to try to tape the liner so you can enjoy the pool until you get your new liner sorted out.
My thoughts precisely. I ordered a marine tape, which should arrive today. Now to get the water in swimming shape. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.