Vinyl Liner Renovation in SE PA - Couple Questions

Hi All....great forum and have read and learned a lot on here. Currently undergoing a pool renovation. 18 x 38 with concrete steps covered by liner. New decking, new coping, new liner, new plumbing, etc. Pool was originally constructed around 1987; we moved in Spring of 2011 and finally pulled the trigger on upgrade. Now need to make some decisions in near future on (1) liner and (2) lighting.

Re: the liner....our builder uses GLI Pool Products. We are going with a "full floor" option...so no border at the top (same pattern all the way through). We have it narrowed to the (1) Mosaic Dark Grey or (2) Black Onyx. Our pool gets full sun in the AM but we start to lose sun around 2:30-4:30 depending on time of year. I know there are plenty of pics on forums, which has been helpful to us. Just looking for some additional advice if anyone wants to chime in. I'm somewhat concerned that the Black Onyx will be too dark....especially since we get so much shade. Also not sure how lighting will look on one versus the other. Appreciate any new pictures as well.

Re: the light....we currently have one "old" incandescent light about halfway down the long side of the pool. It hasn't been working right so we will need to replace. Our builder suggested removing current light and installing 3 Pentair GloBrite LED's evenly spaced on the same side of pool (same side as current light). Thoughts on this? I have seen this setup on another person's pool.....but they had 2 lights on one side and 1 light on opposite side in the middle of the two. Are 3 enough? Are all on same side OK? Or better to have 1 on opposite side?

Appreciate the help!

The darker liner will be nice in that it will help warm your pool up a bit. I love how they look!

Lights-don't bother with colored lights with a darker liner. They do not show as well. I like the idea of the three on one side so long as the side is not the one facing the house. You don't want to look at the pool and have the light shining in your eyes at night.

Kim:kim:

Here is our plan of what we will be doing:

dbtgallery.php

Here is a rough idea of the plan for the pool and some additional returns etc:

dbtgallery.php

Will post some other pics shortly. Appreciate any advice / insight on liner selection and lighting....thanks! Note that the structure is a pool house / storage shed...not our actual house - haha.

- - - Updated - - -

The darker liner will be nice in that it will help warm your pool up a bit. I love how they look!

Lights-don't bother with colored lights with a darker liner. They do not show as well. I like the idea of the three on one side so long as the side is not the one facing the house. You don't want to look at the pool and have the light shining in your eyes at night.

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim! We are sold on a dark liner but struggling whether to go with the very dark one (black onyx) or the one that is slightly less dark (mosaic dark grey). I am thinking that the 3 glo-brits should be enough, too. Never thought about the colored lights with dark liner....I'll ask how much we will save if we go with white lights only.

Some actual photographs of the current setup, yard, etc.:

dbtgallery.php

The above area is all currently torn up, except for that path of new looking pavers leading up to concrete decking. We had that installed in 2013. But all concrete decking and all other pavers getting torn up. Footprint of pool isn't changing. New coping getting installed (Techo-Bloc Portofino).

dbtgallery.php

This work (paver walkway....stone steps...stone wall...boulders) was all done in 2013 as well. Leads out from back of house up to the pool.

dbtgallery.php

Looking up towards pool from back of house / yard.

I'll post some pics showing everything torn up later today or tonight.

Talked to our pool company.....the price drop to go down to white LED's only compared to the Multi-Color is only a $100.00 savings. So we will stick with Multi-Color Globrites and keep fingers crossed that it will still give off nice effect despite the dark liner.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.