Vinyl Liner Patch

nkmhockey

May 23, 2019
After winterizing our 18' round above ground pool for the season, I noticed some extreme water loss over the course of winter. However, I never saw any signs of water loss outside the pool. I marked the line when closing - total water loss is 18" and there is ~20" of water left in the pool.

On a warm day, I used a ladder to jump into the pool and attempt to find the leak. The water temperature was only 40F, so this was extremely painful and difficult, but I eventually located the tear (pictures attached).

The pool is only 3 years old - I called the installer and they are able to cut a custom patch to match our liner and provide adhesive. However, their recommendation was that the water temperature should be at least 60F, preferably 70F to apply the patch. I'm located in Pittsburgh, PA so the water may never reach this temperature naturally. We have a gas heater - but I am curious how best to handle the logistics of applying the patch.

- I checked Boxer adhesive and they don't list a minimum temperature: Welcome to Boxer Adhesives
- I'm not sure how to apply the patch - the current 20" water level is workable, but I'm not sure the temperature will get to 60-70F until summer
- I am tempted to open, fill, and circulate the water so that I can use the heater to warm the water faster. The downside here is I would need some sort of scuba gear to apply the patch - the hole is near the bottom of the pool
- Most advice I see is to use round patches - if I request a round patch a few inches larger than the tear, is it ok for it to span the seam onto the floor of the liner?

I think the easiest approach is to disregard the advice I received on minimum water temp and simply apply the patch in the (very cold) water currently at 20" (no scuba gear needed). Does anyone have any advice?

Attachments

• PXL_20230325_214838684.jpg
    PXL_20230325_214838684.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20230325_214646951.jpg
    PXL_20230325_214646951.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 37
Just my opinion but holes in creased areas can be a little difficult to patch. It looks like you have a slight hole at the water line as well. Something I would investigate before patching - are there rough edges in that area? Our last pool had duct tape over the screw area, I didn't see what the installers did with our new pool so I have my fingers crossed that they did the same.

Something I would try to use would be clear Gorilla Glue water proof tape. Since it's clear you can see how it adhered to the liner (no gaps). I probably do a small patch larger then the hole with a larger patch over that patch. I would probably lower the water a little more for the waterline hole and do the same thing.

I have had good luck with the tape on my old pool step. It was plastic and started to have splits in the plastic at around 18 YO. I used the tape and it never came off. It looks like packing tape but is much thicker and it stayed stuck on for about 3 years even when it was underwater. We got rid of the pool but would certainly try it again. I got it at Home Depot.

Looks like a great fit for what I need - do you think it's worthwhile to run a vertical patch over the entire pool seam? There are a few other areas where it looks like there are screws or other pieces putting pressure on the liner. I suspect I will have future issues in this area of the liner.

I guess you can use the tape in areas that may be suspect. I don't think I would use it all around the liner seam, if it's that bad then a new liner is probably the best. Generally speaking the pool wall seam should be the only area with screws. If you ever have to replace the liner I would inspect the areas that are questionable and also make sure there are a few layers of duct tape over the pool wall seam.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.