Very noisy pump... Do I need a new one? Or just replace the motor? Or bearings?

Westovers

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2009
Austin, Texas
The separate pump for our waterfall has suddenly become VERY noisy--something is wrong. How can I diagnose whether or not we need a new pump or just repair? Do we jus replace the motor? Replace the bearings? Any advice for how to diagnose this without a pool professional would be appreciated, thank you!

Can you post a video with audio so we can listen to it?

Most likely it is the bearings on the motor. Those can be replaced if you have a bearing puller and know how to do it. Otherwise, you can also just replace the motor. It might be a good time to invest in a two speed motor while you are at it.

Can you post a video with audio so we can listen to it?

Most likely it is the bearings on the motor. Those can be replaced if you have a bearing puller and know how to do it. Otherwise, you can also just replace the motor. It might be a good time to invest in a two speed motor while you are at it.

Thanks Mark. Here's a pic:
watefall pump.jpg

But I can't seem to upload a video--every time it starts uploading it suddenly stops as it's uploading... Any ideas?

It is only a pump for a waterfall feature, so there is no need for 2 speeds. In fact, I'd like to downgrade the HP because it is too high for our waterfall--I had to close a valve partially to limit the flow coming out of the waterfall as it didn't look realistic as is...

You need a water feature pump. They are designed for low head/high flow. It will require replacing the entire system, not just the motor, I believe. Others may be more versed in if you could just get away with a new impeller and a motor.

A water feature pump runs at about half the rpm of the motor you have now. With a water feature pump, you should be able to run without closing a valve (adding TDH) to your outflow.

I would suggest calling InyoPools. They can give you a recommendation on what you need.

Take care.

You need a water feature pump. They are designed for low head/high flow. It will require replacing the entire system, not just the motor, I believe. Others may be more versed in if you could just get away with a new impeller and a motor.

A water feature pump runs at about half the rpm of the motor you have now. With a water feature pump, you should be able to run without closing a valve (adding TDH) to your outflow.

I would suggest calling InyoPools. They can give you a recommendation on what you need.

Take care.

Thank you, but it seems easier and cheaper to just replace the motor with a lower HP one than the entire system, right? Do I need to replace the impeller too?? How would I know/determine that? Thank you,

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

That looks like a Tristar pump. There is a Tristar waterfall pump. You should be able to switch to a waterfall motor and impeller.

It's a Hayward Pump. What would you recommend for that? Thank you,

Mike

Motor part number SPX3605Z1BER.
SPX3220C Impeller for 75 GPM with Impeller Screw
Impeller ring part number SPX3021R.
SPX4000Z1 Diffuser O-Ring.
SPX3200T Housing Gasket.
SPX3200SA Shaft Seal Assembly.
The motor is expensive. You might be better replacing the pump and keeping the old parts as spares. You have unions, so an easy swap out.

Last edited:
Here's a link to the video to hear the pump's sound: waterfall pump video - YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

Motor part number SPX3205Z1MR.
Impeller part number SPX3205C.
SPX3200T Housing Gasket.

Thank you James. But could you elaborate? Are these the parts you are recommending me to purchase? Do I need all of them? Will this lower the flow of my waterfall like I am wanting?

Motor part number SPX3605Z1BER.
SPX3220C Impeller for 75 GPM with Impeller Screw
SPX3200T Housing Gasket.
The motor is expensive. You might be better replacing the pump and keeping the old parts as spares. You have unions, so an easy swap out.

In that case, would you have any recommendations on which PUMP to replace it with (looking for a little less flow, less noise)?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mistake on part numbers. Updated to correct. The motor is kind of expensive. So, you might want to just get a new pump, the 75 gpm tristar waterfall pump. SP36075EE

Alternatively, you could just plumb into your returns to use the return water instead of a separate pump.

Mistake on part numbers. Updated to correct. The motor is kind of expensive. So, you might want to just get a new pump, the 75 gpm tristar waterfall pump. SP36075EE

Alternatively, you could just plumb into your returns to use the return water instead of a separate pump.

I couldn't find the corrected pump# online, but the previous one was around $200. But the pump you quoted is $600. Am I missing something?

Motor part number SPX3605Z1BER. It's about $350 to $400 for the motor.

75 gpm tristar waterfall pump part number SP36075EE. About $500 best price I saw.

Maybe just use the return water from the main pump instead of getting a new pump or motor.

Motor part number SPX3605Z1BER. It's about $350 to $400 for the motor.

75 gpm tristar waterfall pump part number SP36075EE. About $500 best price I saw.

Maybe just use the return water from the main pump instead of getting a new pump or motor.

Thank you.
We use the waterfall MUCH less than our filter pump (with SWG), so we really need a separate pump.

You can just use valves to switch water to waterfall. Just plumb the fountain as a return. When you want the waterfall, open the valve and adjust pressure by closing the regular returns as much as needed.

If you have a variable speed main pump, you can adjust that as well.

You probably don't need a separate pump.

What's your main pump?

Thank you.
We use the waterfall MUCH less than our filter pump (with SWG), so we really need a separate pump.

Would this motor not work? Century A.O. Smith UCT1072 Replacement 3/4 HP Motor conservationist 115/230V

- - - Updated - - -

You can just use valves to switch water to waterfall. Just plumb the fountain as a return. When you want the waterfall, open the valve and adjust pressure by closing the regular returns as much as needed.

If you have a variable speed main pump, you can adjust that as well.

You probably don't need a separate pump.

What's your main pump?

That's an interesting idea. Main pump is similar or same I think? I'll take a pic tomorrow and send it. But would this not work as a motor replacement? Century A.O. Smith UCT1072 Replacement 3/4 HP Motor conservationist 115/230V

That's not the right type of motor. You need a square flange motor.

Your current motor is a full speed model (3450 rpm). A full speed motor does better at higher pressure and it does not do well at low pressure.

You can use a full speed motor that's smaller and use a smaller impeller. That's the cheapest option to repair your existing pump. It's not ideal, but it will work.
Motor part number SPX3205Z1MR.
Impeller part number SPX3205C

This will reduce your flow quite a bit. So, if there's any doubt, you might want to get a SPX3207Z1MR motor and a SPX3207CM impeller. If you get this motor, you can use either impeller.

A half speed motor (1725 rpm) works better at lower pressure. It's quieter and uses less electricity. It's more expensive because it's a "special" motor.

The third option is to just replumb so that you can use the fountain as a return. You can adjust the flow as needed.

I have worked many pools with water features. Other than high demand applications, (120 gpm+) normal circulation pumps work fine. You currently have a 1 hp square flange full rate motor, which puts out the same (roughly) output as a 1.5 up-rated pump. You only need to down size the motor to a 3/4 full rate or 1 hp up rate, with matching impeller. The rest of the pump is fine to keep. The existing diffuser should be okay, but check to make sure it fits the smaller impeller.

I have worked many pools with water features. Other than high demand applications, (120 gpm+) normal circulation pumps work fine. You currently have a 1 hp square flange full rate motor, which puts out the same (roughly) output as a 1.5 up-rated pump. You only need to down size the motor to a 3/4 full rate or 1 hp up rate, with matching impeller. The rest of the pump is fine to keep. The existing diffuser should be okay, but check to make sure it fits the smaller impeller.

Thank you. Can you help me understand what "full rate" and "up-rate" means? Is the "full rate" of my pump reflected in the SF rating (1.85)? I read that HPxSF=TotalHP... Is that correct? What you are referring to? Thanks again,

A "Full rate" motor has a fairly large Service Factor. Typically, about 1.3 to 1.99. An "Uprated" or "Max rated" motor has a smaller Service Factor. Usually 1.0 to 1.3.

The only thing that matters is the Total HP of the motor, which is the rated HP x Service Factor.

A 1 hp full rated motor with a 1.65 sf is the same as a 1.5 hp max rated motor with a 1.1 sf.

It's all kind of ridiculous because they sell two identical pumps as if they were different.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.