Very nervous about rust with pics

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
Hi All - I've seen and read too many posts about pools that burst due to rust. I have had my pool (saltwater 5000 from pool factory ) for 6 years and it has the stainless steel panel. Would like some opinions is this just rust from the outside or would you think this is from the inside. Do I have anything to worry about? My pool is literally like 7 feet from the house (It's the only spot that could fit the pool) I'm wondering how many more years I can get out of the pool. I'm very nervous about it. Also PLEASE NOTE, right under the skimmer box and above the rust that stuff that looks like it's flaking is the protective plastic coating that came with the pool to cover the stainless steel panel that I never peeled off and over the years has started to come off, it's not the pool

On a side note I'm wondering what people use to close off the skimmer box. I've been using the aquador but the seal is so tight and its so hard to get off I feel like I'm moving the gasket around and I've seen a couple of drops from the skimmer box occur sometimes. Is there a better product to close the skimmer box? Thanks for your time.

Also can the average pool owner that isn't that handy, replace the skimmer gasket or is that a very tough job? I feel like maybe the aquador has been messing that up when it's time to take off the aquador since it's such a tight seal

Attachments

• pool pic 1.jpg
    pool pic 1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 54
  • pool pick 2.jpg
    pool pick 2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 57
It looks like it was bumped & scratched with something. When other metals collide with stainless they can leave parts of themselves behind which then rust but its on the surface. Example: leaving a wet cast iron pan in your stainless sink overnight will leave a rust spot but it’s easily scrubbed away as it was the iron not the stainless rusting.
Try using a magic eraser & maybe a little barkeepers friend (be sure you rinse it all off) & see if the stain comes off.
Your pool doesn’t look to be at risk of bursting. I suspect it’s surface rust.

Replacing the skimmer gasket isn’t a horrible job but it does require you lower the water level slightly below the skimmer. If you do that remove all the plastic protection film before installing the new gasket.

I was contemplating the aquadoor for the upcoming winter instead of all the draing & refilling but since it would require me to lower the water I just put in to install the faceplate I think I’ll go with a skimmer plug or a skimmer plate. Not sure if either of those would conflict with your aquadoor faceplate or not.
To help the aquadoor cover to go on & off more easily you can try some magic lube around the edges.

Do you mow near the pool ? Maybe the mower threw something at some point ? A small pebble/rock can travel and get that high if it bounced.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have kids? They’re fun & do interesting things, like throw rocks or scribble on things lol 😂
mine “wrote” on my land cruiser with an eraser! Seems harmless but it seriously never came off. They weren’t the kind to write on the walls ever or be destructive but kids do crazy things sometimes without thinking like rock baseball.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.