Vermont Ice-Just-Melted startup questions

terryking

Bronze Supporter
Dec 19, 2012
West Topsham, Vermont USA
Hi Everyone, and THANKS for the great education and help over the past 10 years.

As in Sig, about 20,000 gallon pool, On/In ground. Ice just finished melting :) Pool was drawn down about 30% to below returns, Covered (but cover was partly off this Spring.)

Just refilled (good well water) and quickly added 2 GAL of 6% to get FC to about 10. Water temp about 45F Water very clear.
What next?

- External siphon vacuum cleaning leaves / leave residue from bottom. Almost done.
- Soon to restart pump. Need to close drain on sand filter.
Questions:
- Residual CYA: Was 50ppm at shutdown before Winter-over and 30% dilution. IsThere any expected residual? Cheap test says about zero.
- Residual Borate: Should I expect any or just start as if there was zero?
- Should I keep the FC up about 10 for a while?
- Should I let FC be lower before I start adding CYA?
Any suggestions of sequence etc appreciated...
Not going to be IN the pool myself for a bit :)

Hi, Terry,

You are probably right on CYA.....zero, I suspect. Rainwater replacement and some minor natural deterioration means you will have to start over.

Borates - not many use it and I can remember no reports of it going away. Test and see

Yeah, get your CYA in there (30 ppm) and then keep chlorine up a little (6-10) for a week or so (I assume your pool water is clear)

No real sequence issues. TFP suggest not simultaneously but one after the other (pump running with maybe 15 minutes to mix) is fine

Put the CYA in a sock and place it in your skimmer until it all dissolves.

THANKS!
Updates: Added usual CYA, no problem, TA and Ph are OK. Can not get any accurate reading on Borate so assumed zero. Borax + Hcl in 2 passes. Seems fine. Ran Cl at 10 for first 2 weeks.. Perfectly clear, no chlorine smell, Ph is good. So, like last year WalMa plus lumber yard that has REAL Muriatic 31.5% and a container of CYA and that's all I need for the season...
Thanks TFP for the Education...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.