Vermiculite "Soft near wall" Help Needed

Jevans317

Dec 30, 2021
Cincinnati Ohio
Hello Everyone,

Your support is greatly appreciated.

My pool was built in Nov. of 2021 in Cincinnati Ohio. Its a 20 x 40 inground with liner. I have used the pool for 1 season in 2022, and now into 2023. This year I found that the vermiculite is soft where it meets the steel wall in the shallow end in-between a light and return skimmer. I can push with my foot down and feel the give and probably push it further if I wanted, but was concerned. I would say it feel similar to sand or clay underneath the liner. I'm hoping someone could shed some light on my situation. How concerned should I be? Why is this occurring? What can be done about it? Would a leak at the light or skimmer create the problem? So many questions.... The worst area is in-between both skimmer and light, with about 5" from the wall being soft, as you move toward the skimmer it reduced to maybe 3". I didn't notice it last year, but not saying it wasn't there, just didn't do a check.

I'll be doing a bucket test this weekend to see if the pool is leaking, but wasn't sure if this would cause the situation.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.