Variable Pump Schedule Set Up Recommendations

marwan31

May 15, 2024
atx
New pool owner. Found this form very helpful for setting up my variable speed pump. This was very counter intuitive.

Now that I understand how to set up, would like advise on how to set up the schedule. What are y’all’s times and speeds for your variable pump. Want to maximize efficiency and do sufficient filtration.

Attached is what I set up this evening. Filter pump is set to 1400 as default speed during times when a vsp is not selected. Is 3250 for 4.5 hours over kill? Please let me know your feedback. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_9979.png
    IMG_9979.png
    114.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
New pool owner. Found this form very helpful for setting up my variable speed pump. This was very counter intuitive.

Now that I understand how to set up, would like advise on how to set up the schedule. What are y’all’s times and speeds for your variable pump. Want to maximize efficiency and do sufficient filtration.

Attached is what I set up this evening. Filter pump is set to 1400 as default speed during times when a vsp is not selected. Is 3250 for 4.5 hours over kill? Please let me know your feedback. Thank you!
The filter does its best at low speed. Run the pump for a specific reason, ie skimming, vaccumming, making chlorine, etc.

If you have a variable speed pump, turn it down enough that the skimming stops working well and then turn it back up a couple hundred RPM. You dont say what other equipment you have but a salt chlorinator may require a minimum RPM as well. Theres probably no need to ever run the pump at 3250. Many people run a VSP 24x7 at low rpm as the filter works better and its often cheaper than high speed for shorter periods.

We recommend that you run the pump for a reason..

So, what is the purpose of running at 2750 all night?

What is the purpose of running at 3250 for 4 hours..

It is your pool and you can run it anyway you want, but... why run faster than required, just because you can??

What are you trying to accomplish that 1400 RPM will not do for you??

Do you have a Saltwater pool? If not, how are you sanitizing your pool water?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Welcome to TFP.

What pump are we discussing?

Knowing what pool equipment you have can help us advise you better.

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

This is a Jandy variable speed 2.70.

I saw a video on YouTube about running the pump at a higher speed for a short amount of time and then two slower speeds for most of the time and so that’s what I’m trying to recreate. Obviously ignorant as to what is best. Appreciate the questions.

Goal is to have as clean a pool as possible. And I thought running at higher speeds does more filtering but it sounds like it’s the opposite. This is news to me.

I get the water tested weekly at local pool store and go by their recommendations. Mostly just been adding muriatic acid and liquid chlorine.

I do not have a salt water chlorinator. Our pool is 11,265 in pool and 675 in spa.

We have a nature2 chlorinator but we have not put any tabs in that yet based on recommendation from pool store that these aren’t great for new pools.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
And I thought running at higher speeds does more filtering but it sounds like it’s the opposite.

Running the pump faster does filter more water.. But at an increased cost in electricity for very little gain. You said you wanted to "maximize efficiency and do sufficient filtration." That is exactly what we are recommending. :mrgreen:

Your pool stays clear because of the chemicals in the water.. (Liquid Chlorine in your case).. Not the number of times water passes through the filter. The filter is just there to capture the stuff that falls into your pool and floats. By the time the filter starts capturing algae, you have already lost the algae war. :cry:

Do you have a heater or spa??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

The reason I asked about the heater is because that often sets your lowest speed..

Does your heater operate at 1400 RPM???

Thanks,

Jim R.
I appreciate the questions. Figuring out a lot on here!

The answer is I don’t know the answer to that.

How would I find out?

We have previously used the heater by selecting that option but this was before I made this change to speed1.

The heater has a pressure switch in it.. If the flow (really pressure) is not high enough the heater will not fire up.. I assume a gas heater.

Just turn the heater on and see if it works.. If not, then crank up the speed to 1500 and see if it works, if not increase it again..

Since you have an automation system, you should be able to set it up so that when you turn on the heater, the pump speeds up to the right speed to turn the heater on.. Unfortunately, I do not know how to do that on your system, but I'm sure others here do.

The first think to do is experiment and find at what speed the heater turns on.

Thanks,

Jim R.