variable or 2-speed

Hi, new member here and appreciate all the knowledge that has been shared.

I have a 20 year old pool, 33k gals, inground, plaster siding with a max-e pro pump (1hp) and a sta-rite DE 60 filter. I want to upgrade the whole system and was thinking of installing the Intelliflo 11018 pump, Intellichlor Salt Chlorinator and a Pentair System:3 Mod Media Filter. First, what do you think of each of these, I really know nothing other than what I found on Pentair's website and what I have read here. Second, can a fairly handy person install these them self? Should I get a controller, and if so which one is recommended?

Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Welcome to TFP.

I suspect from where you're located that your electric rates warrant a variable speed pump, and if so the Intelliflo is about as good as they get.

Pentair has a good reputation and since you're going all Pentair I'd suggest getting the controller. I'd recommend either the Easy Touch or the Intellitouch controllers.

If you have PVC plumbing it's easy to install all this equipment. Metal piping makes it a little harder but not much as all you'll do is cut the metal pipes back and adapt to PVC. Then all the pad plumbing will be PVC from there on.

Hi Dave,

Ok, getting ready to order everything and I am starting to get confused as to what exactly I will need to ensure that I have a working system when I am done.

Again, I have a 33k gallon pool, plaster siding and I am replacing a Max-E pro pump (1 hp) and sta-rite DE 60 filter along with Jandy Ji600 indoor controller. I would like to add a salt chlorinator as well.

Will the Pentair System3 Mod Media model S7M120 work or do I need a bigger filter?

I believe there is only one model pump, model # 011018, correct?

What about the salt chlorinator, I was thinking of getting the largest chlorinator, the model 521105, intellichlor IC60. I have heard that using a larger system will help prolong the life of the cell. Let me know if you believe this to be true. Do I need a power center to go with this or do you get everything you need to install it included with the IC60 model listed? Will I need cables to run to the controller or again are they included.

Now for the controller, if I get the easytouch, intellitouch or suntouch, do I still need to get the intellichem controller or are they built into those other models? I do have a second separate pump for a waterfall that I need to hook up to controller as well as lights, which controller and accessories would you recommend?

Anything else that you might think of that would be needed to complete the installation would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks again for all of your assistance.

Bill

BillH said:
Will the Pentair System3 Mod Media model S7M120 work or do I need a bigger filter?
2 Things:
When I looked at that SKU, it appears to be Sta-Rite. I would recommend getting all Pentair so you get the extended warranties.
You could look at Sku #: 160340 (320 sq ft), but honestly, you won't regret going bigger. They have the same model with 420sq ft and 520.

BillH said:
I believe there is only one model pump, model # 011018, correct?
Pentair has other pumps, but this one is GREAT! I think you should stick with that pump. You will need to buy two 2" slip unions for this pump. The sku is 21063-200-000 and they cost $15 each.

BillH said:
What about the salt chlorinator, I was thinking of getting the largest chlorinator, the model 521105, intellichlor IC60. I have heard that using a larger system will help prolong the life of the cell. Let me know if you believe this to be true. Do I need a power center to go with this or do you get everything you need to install it included with the IC60 model listed? Will I need cables to run to the controller or again are they included.
Yes, the larger salt cell, the less often you have to run it (therefore, the longer it lasts). There is a kit you can purchase so that you don't have to buy the IntelliChlor power center (since you are getting automation). Let me get back to you with sku and more info after lunch...

BillH said:
Now for the controller, if I get the easytouch, intellitouch or suntouch, do I still need to get the intellichem controller or are they built into those other models? I do have a second separate pump for a waterfall that I need to hook up to controller as well as lights, which controller and accessories would you recommend?
EasyTouch is very easy to use, and a great system, but it can only control 4 things. Intellitouch is a little more tech-heavy, but can control much more (depending on the model you choose). Are you planning to add any more features to your pool? Do you have (or plan to add) a spa? My gut says go with an IntelliTouch for added possibility...but maybe someone else will suggest differently.

I will post again this afternoon when I gather the rest of the requested info!

Blake,

No plans on adding any other features to the pool, so we have the pool pump, water fall pump, lights and now chlorinator. Is there a big difference in cost and functionality between the easytouch and intellitouch?

Thanks,

Bill

Hey Bill,
I found out that you can get EasyTouch with 8 functions now (if you wanted). EasyTouch is less complicated than the IntelliTouch, and a little less expensive.

With the IntelliTouch, you would need a load center (with IntelliChlor Transformer), and a personality kit.
IntelliTouch Load Center with IC Transformer: sku # 521213
Intellitouch i5 3s Personality Kit: sku # 520506

I am trying to track down an EasyTouch system that has the transformer you need for your ic60. Trouble is (so far), I have found EasyTouch systems ready for salt actually COME WITH either an ic20 or ic40 cell.
EasyTouch 4 function with ic40: sku # 520593
EasyTouch 8 function with ic40: sku # 520705

With the EasyTouch system, you can get a control panel to mount in your house if you want. This is optional, and pretty much puts the cost equivalent to an IntelliTouch system. You can also use the ScreenLogic2 application (for iPhone and iPad) to control either system.

So here is what I think I need to replace my full system and upgrade to salt chlorinator.

Pentair Intelliflo pump 011018
Pentair Intellitouch load Center 521213
Pentair Intellichlor IC60 521105
Pentair EasyTouch 4 Indoor Control Panel 520548
Pentair Eash Touch 4 System 520593
Two Inch Unions (qty 2) 21063-200-000
Sta-rite System 3 Mod Media S8M150

Would you please take a look and let me know if I got everything or if I duplicated anything? I appreciate your help. I know I am mixing Pentair and Sta-rite with the System 3, but it looked like a really good filter. Since everything else is Pentair, will the rest have a 3 yr warranty?

Thanks again,

Bill

You will be buying EITHER the EasyTouch OR IntelliTouch. Since I still can't find an EasyTouch with IntelliChlor transformer, I think you should stick with IntelliTouch.

I would really recommend staying with a Pentair filter. I don't think the ic60 counts as its own item (Pentair gives the 3 year warranty ONLY if you buy 3 major Pentair components at the same time).

You will also need a multi-port valve for whichever filter you choose. Let me know which one you pick and I will make sure you get the right valve.
EDIT: As Jason says below, these are typically for Sand and DE filters. You should not need one with a cartridge filter.

Lastly, you will need an actuator (which is what automation system talks to, controlling where water is diverted)
EDIT: Jason is correct (again), I forgot waterfall has it's own pump! You will not need an actuator unless you add more water features.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pentair bought Sta-Rite in 2004 so they are now one company and I was under the impression that you can mix the two lines and still get the extended warranty. Personally, I never tried it but others have told me that you can.

I read this thread with some interest. I've been thinking of replacing my old 2 HP single speed with a VS. A couple issues come to mind, I have a SWG pool and an in-floor cleaning system as well as solar heating. Will my SWG only work when the pump is on high? What about the solar and cleaning heads. Would I end up having to run on high so much that it might cancel out any savings?

SWGs will work down to about 15-20 GPM but the solar and cleaning heads will probably require higher speeds for higher flow rate and pressure. But the nice thing about the Intelliflo is that you can set the speed for optimum flow rate and energy use so it will still save some on energy costs over a single speed.

I don't mind going with the Intellitouch controller, but I would like to have a control panel inside our house as we do today. Can I do that with the Intellitouch? Is Mark correct with the warranty and that I can have my sta-rite and pentair both and get the extended warranty?

Can you explain a little more about what the multi-port valve is for and what the actuator is for? Still a little confused here. The pump only runs the filter, I have a second pump that runs my waterfall, what would I be using the actuator for?

Thanks for all your help.

Bill

A multi-port valve is essentially part of the filter, sometimes included with the filter sometimes sold separately. They are commonly used only on sand and DE filters, not usually used with cartridge filters. You listed a cartridge filter, so there is no real need for a multi-port valve.

Indoor control panels are available for both the IntelliTouch and the EasyTouch.

You would want an actuator (or two) if the waterfall was run by the same pump as the pool, or if you have a spa or other water feature. From your description it doesn't sound like you will need one.

So does my list of parts look correct or do I have duplicate controllers on the list? Also, if I wanted to switch the waterfall over to VS pump, all I would need to do is put in the actuator, correct. Hadn't thought of that and it would save a little money by not running the single speed pump when we wanted to have the waterfall running.

Also would you mind explaining what a SWG is, I don't know that acronym. I do have a polaris 360 pool cleaner, is that what they are talking about.

Thanks again.

BillH said:
So does my list of parts look correct or do I have duplicate controllers on the list? Also, if I wanted to switch the waterfall over to VS pump, all I would need to do is put in the actuator, correct. Hadn't thought of that and it would save a little money by not running the single speed pump when we wanted to have the waterfall running.

Also would you mind explaining what a SWG is, I don't know that acronym. I do have a polaris 360 pool cleaner, is that what they are talking about.

Thanks again.
Yes, the waterfall could run off the VS pump. An actuator would control weather or not your waterfall is on.

SWG (or more accurately SWCG) stands for salt water chlorine generator. The ic60 you are looking at is a SWCG. In short, it automatically creates chlorine using salt. When working properly, it cuts down on time/maintenance you have to spend adding chemicals to pool. Keep in mind though, you still should monitor pool levels and test the water chemistry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.