Feb 20, 2017
Montreal, Quebec
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi there.

I was finally on track to enjoying my crystal clear pool thanks to TFP when I discovered just this evening, after a vacuum and back wash, that both my filter multi-valve AND the in-line ball valve on the waste line are leaking internally. With the multi-valve set to filter, and the ball valve closed, I can see the water level rise in the clear section of the waste line when the pump is on.

We bought the house a year ago and I was a little suspicious of the original (1988) pvc 1.5" plumbing valves and joints and so I'm not too surprised there. I think the multi-valve is quite old so maybe it was due as well.

Here are my concerns:

Can multi-valves be repaired or are they best replaced?

Should I be considering switching to a different filter (cartridge type) at this time or should I stick with sand? I'm worried about having to open up a cartridge filter to clean it a couple of times a year, as the pump and filter are in the basement, below the bottom of the pool. Things will get wet.

Lastly, while I'm going to be dealing with the plumbing, should I be considering changing my pump? It seems to be pumping just fine but I think it might be oversized for the system and wasting money. It's a 1.5 hp Hayward pump, one suction line from skimmer 25' and one return line splitting to 2 eyeball ports (combined 45'). All lines are 1.5".

Thank you for your help!

The replacement of the pump and filter are up to you and usually depend on age and performance. I know people who have had he same filter and pump for years without problems. As far as your leak goes it sounds like you may need a new spider gasket in your multi port valve. These are very easy to replace and relatively inexpensive. It is a good first troubleshooting step before you consider any type of valve or plumbing replacement. Once you have replaced the spider gasket and the leak is presumably gone, you can then test the ball valve again for leaks. Also not a big undertaking to replace if need be.

Thanks folks,
Leaks have stopped on their own.
Perhaps moving the valves cleaned off any debris that might have been affecting their performance and reset the spider gasket.
Should I be rotating the filter multi-valve handle in the same direction all the time or can I move it in both directions?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.