Valve ID please.

Welcome to the forum!
Are you speaking about the hose bib? That was used by the installer to pressure test, etc. It has little function at this point. Some will say to use it if you need to drain some water. But in Phoenix, the only time you will need to drain any water is due to sky high CH or CYA, and then you need to drain the entire pool volume. And you will need a sump pump to do that.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Are you talking about the hose bib?? If so, it is not needed, but it could be used to drain water when the pump is running.

It is not normally in that location. Usually, just after the pump...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ah.
Not sure. How you have it set in that picture the water is going to the pipe going into the ground.
That is not a normal plumbing set up for a cartridge filter, which I assume is what you have.

Then the water is going back to the pool. Where does the line going to the right from that valve go to?

The valve is set so no flow to the right. So the pipe that goes underground carries the water. So it from there ends up in the pool returns.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's a heater bypass.

As it is set, the heater is receiving flow.

To bypass the heater, you would rotate the valve 90 degrees clockwise.

This will block flow to the heater.

Note that the heater pressure switch will still be activated and the heater can run with no flow.

So, the heater has to be completely off and unpowered when the bypass is open.

Do you have a picture of the pipes going into and out of the heater?

Do you have pictures of the whole system from several angles?

Reactions: mknauss
That makes sense. Here are some more pics. Had a pool before. Just never a heater or uv or o2. This even had it's own pump just for the water feature. Just way more than my previous.

Attachments

• PXL_20210207_174814321.jpg
    PXL_20210207_174814321.jpg
    624.9 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20210207_174726013.jpg
    PXL_20210207_174726013.jpg
    647.6 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: JamesW
Guess next question would be what's position should it be in when not in use? I assume water going through is fine but would no water for a long period be bad? Again thanks for all the info. This forum is awesome and hopefully I can give back at some point.

If you rotate the valve handle 90 degrees counterclockwise, the gate (where it says “Off”) will be at the top and the heater and the bypass will both be open or you can rotate the handle 90 degrees clockwise and the heater line will be closed.

Either way, the heater needs to be off and unpowered or it might run and damage the heater.

Do you have a picture of the plumbing going to the heater?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.