Vacuum through Waste below skimmer line?

jgofnj

Silver Supporter
May 28, 2013
Hillsborough, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have always vacuumed to waste up until the water line reached the skimmer opening thinking at that point I would only be sucking in air. But if the end of the vacuumed line is sealed against the skimmer opening, can I continue vacuuming below the line? Would the water continue to flow through as long as the one end is sealed against the skimmer opening? I feel like I am racing against the clock. I wanted to drain and replace some of my pool water anyway so I don't mind dropping the levels about 5-6 inched below the skimmer line.

But if the end of the vacuumed line is sealed against the skimmer opening, can I continue vacuuming below the line?
You can try, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work. It's very difficult to get an airtight seal with a hose. If you try, be ready to shut off the pump if it loses prime.

You can try, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work. It's very difficult to get an airtight seal with a hose. If you try, be ready to shut off the pump if it loses prime.
That's what I figured. Thanks. I will not try it, not worth the hassle to me.

Reactions: Texas Splash
There’s really no need to vac to waste unless you’ve got some really funky stuff going on that would overwhelm your filter.
Is there a reason you want to replace water? Your latest results look ok aside from a slightly higher salt value.
Was that # from a k1766?

Reactions: jgofnj
I am having some trouble with metals even though my latest test results show no iron. already did the Sequestrant last year, I know I need to look it to that more. For now, I am just replacing about 25% of the water (already done). Don't expect it to make much of a difference but trying to get it under control before it gets out of control. Also had a little staining on my white steps (did the Vitamin C test). Again, no major issues, just trying to stay ahead of any potential issues. Other than this, everything else has been great. My SWG is the best thing I ever did, maintaining my pool has been a breeze since using TFP methods.

Results from K1766 was 21 drops so 4200 about a week ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
Do you know where the metals came from & what you’re dealing with, iron or copper?
I assume Iron since stain instantly went away with Vitamin C. I don't know the source. I don't have well water, no overflow, fill pool with garden hose suppled by water company. I do have the original Heater, which is now about 18 years old. Staining on steps is what made me concerned. Only thing I changed since I noticed this 1-2 years ago is that's when I got my SWG installed. I also used to use algicide (poly-60??, no metals), but I stopped that routine also two years ago. Is it possible the high salt level is causing it?

I tested metal level at pool store after I did the purple stuff Sequestrant. Results came back zero, which I assume is because of the sequestrant.

I assume Iron since stain instantly went away with Vitamin C. I don't know the source. I don't have well water, no overflow, fill pool with garden hose suppled by water company. I do have the original Heater, which is now about 18 years old. Staining on steps is what made me concerned. Only thing I changed since I noticed this 1-2 years ago is that's when I got my SWG installed. I also used to use algicide (poly-60??, no metals), but I stopped that routine also two years ago. Is it possible the high salt level is causing it?
Clorox salt has caused some iron staining in the past for some people so it is recommended to avoid it.
Some municipalities have iron in the water, they don’t have to list it on the report because it is not considered a contaminate.
I believe mine does so I am considering a small pre filter for top offs.
Anything that can rust & is in contact with the water can cause a bit of staining eventually like a ladder or screws for skimmer/lights. I have a couple screws with a tiny bit of rust on my step handrail but the jury is out as to how much of my stains are from those.

Reactions: jgofnj
Clorox salt has caused some iron staining in the past for some people so it is recommended to avoid it.
Some municipalities have iron in the water, they don’t have to list it on the report because it is not considered a contaminate.
I believe mine does so I am considering a small pre filter for top offs.
Anything that can rust & is in contact with the water can cause a bit of staining eventually like a ladder or screws for skimmer/lights. I have a couple screws with a tiny bit of rust on my step handrail but the jury is out as to how much of my stains are from those.
Thanks, all great points. I used Clorox last year, but not this year. I took out my steps because of algae accumulating under the steps itself. I do fill from the hose a lot, I may look into a filter for that. I am not overely concerned. Had a pool since 2007 and never really had any issues with staining, just noticed it a lot since last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.