Vacuum suggestion for Summer Waves Elite needed please.

it looks like you have at least 3 options, you can get a battery operated hand-held, you can use the type that uses your garden hose (it adds water to your pool which can be a pro or a con) Summer Waves® Pool Maintenance Kit with Skimmer, Vacuum & Telescoping Aluminum Pole - Walmart.com , or you can get this filter cover plate Summer Waves SFX Vacuum Adapter - Walmart.com , and a pole, hose, and regular above-ground vacuum head. I highly recommend a skimmer basket net (disposable hair nets work great) for anything like this that goes towards your pump.

of course there are pressure side cleaners like the intex robot but they do need a certain pump strength and probably larger fittings than your return. also real robots, but they will cost more than your pool.

Thank. I'm just confused on how the vacuum, with the mesh bag on top, in the maintenance kit works. Does it just force junk up into the bag when you push it across the bottom, or does it need the vacuum plate and hose so the pump does the sucking?

edit: I see now. The basic maintenance kit vacuum, uses a garden hose. We'll give that a shot. Used one before, and it basically did an ok job. Will start there, before bumping up to a real vacuum, plate, hose, etc.

Thanks again. Ed

Last edited:
Reactions: Pv2
another trick that works pretty well is to have one person get in the pool and go in a couple of circles to get a "whirlpool" going then stop and wait by the side (next to the ladder works good) for a few minutes to let all the junk swirl to the middle and settle there, then you can just take your skimmer net and grab most of it all at once or use your vacuum. (same technique can be used from the outside too, just a little harder on the arms and less fun)

I don't know anything about that specific pump but it is a machine, they are designed to run so if you need it on all the time go for it. that is a small pool and probably not worth doing modifications on, but lots of us with these cheap bags of water on sticks will put a real pool skimmer on them as that really makes a difference in keeping them clean (read some of the info on the pinned thread for intex owners) the motors for these things are surprisingly tough, though I am sure there are plenty of defective ones that get shipped. run it till it dies and get another one. on the bigger pools ,folks get tired of the under powered aspect and usually upgrade to a larger one before the original ever dies.

edit - looking at the google, I see that pump has an integrated skimmer already, so disregard my comment about adding a skimmer. LOL

Thanks. Am going to experiment with the run times for the pump. Keeping clean filters is a first priority. We have an 8 month swim season here, and would like to get a full season from the pump if possible. A new pump will cost twice what we paid for the pool. am going to start researching a sand filter/pump upgrade.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.