Vacuum set up - need tips

pktaske

May 31, 2023
Monroe Township, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I have vacuuming my pool and usually can get away with sweeping my floor to the drain. However, right now I have lots of junk on the bottom and need to old school vacuum. Problem is hooking up the hose, losing prime when the plate pops up, pool hose ends loose and sucking air, Etc. It s#cks.

Any tricks to share on hooking up quick and having a problem- free experience? Thanks...

I tried that yesterday. It does not...but there has to be an adapter they sell to do that, right? Those plates are horrible to work with.

Are the threads on these kinds of adapters the same?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230607-071127_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20230607-071127_Firefox.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 4
Did you fill the hose with water BEFORE hooking it up to the skimmer?

Also, maybe try turning the hose around and putting the end normally in the pool into the skimmer, and attach the end normally on the skimmer to the vac head. Sometimes, the end of the hose attached to the skimmer sticks out of the water and may have a leak in it, letting air in. If that end is in the pool, the leak doesn't allow air in the hose.

Did you fill the hose with water BEFORE hooking it up to the skimmer?

Also, maybe try turning the hose around and putting the end normally in the pool into the skimmer, and attach the end normally on the skimmer to the vac head. Sometimes, the end of the hose attached to the skimmer sticks out of the water and may have a leak in it, letting air in. If that end is in the pool, the leak doesn't allow air in the hose.
This. Both ends leak. If I can get an adapter to screw into skimmer, the part that leaks will be below the waterline and I'll be good to go. The only part I don't like is that I'll need to have the skimmer catch basket out and depend on the pump catch basket.

Just checking that you shut the main drains / other skimmer(s) off. The vac plate shouldn't budge if that skimmer has all the flow.

Or you have the wrong plate.

Or the gasket/seal on the plate is shot.

I was able to stretch my leaky hose amother year with a nice think layer of gorilla glue where the hose hits the collar, and up several bumps of the hose. Then I wrapped it tight with gorilla tape and let it set. The tape kept it in place while it dried and helped take some of the bending stress after.

I was able to stretch my leaky hose amother year with a nice think layer of gorilla glue where the hose hits the collar, and up several bumps of the hose. Then I wrapped it tight with gorilla tape and let it set. The tape kept it in place while it dried and helped take some of the bending stress after.
I'm going to do this.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.