Vacuum Line Headaches. Clogged? Leak? Old Pump?

illini_frog

Jul 2, 2023
Fort Worth, TX
In case TLDR: What's causing my vacuum line to overflow when I attempt to prime/give 0 PSI/not enough suction for the Kreepy Krawly, and how do I fix it? Water level hasn't dropped abnormally so I doubt I have an underground leak of air. Pictures are attached

70986795990__BA8E002F-9DBD-4935-A1FF-9C3A0153A990.jpeg70991377482__9BCDB1C6-5E7A-4704-BD75-A5C3ABC8BECA.jpegIMG_2328.jpegIMG_2331.jpegIMG_2327.jpeg

Just got back from 9 months overseas with the Army and while I was gone had roommate take care of basic "keep the pool from smelling" maintenance. Have a Pentair 520 filter and a pretty old pump that I've had since I bought the house 5 years ago, only a few issues.

Come back and pool, like I expected, isn't in great shape. No worries, I know what to do, or so I thought.

Initial step is shock it a couple times, and take manual vacuum to get out big debris, do that no issues. But skimmer is barely sucking water in, despite a PSI of like 30, and when I turn to vacuum mode, it completely dies and I get no suction. I decide to bite the bullet, go ahead and clean out filters, keep manually vacuum, and priming the pump over and over to try and increase suction, which gets temporary but not significant results. I even clean impeller and impeller isn't dirty.

Decide to call a pool company, and have them "fix" the pump and clean the filter, and it's going no issues and I think it's a miracle and I'm good to go. Except 1 hour later it is back to the same and they aren't responding to texts or calls, great. Another pool company says I have to do an air leak test, which is $450, and I probably need a new pool pump too, another large sum of money.

Today I spend all day working it, I put high pressure water through the vacuum line (when I turn Jandy handle to 3 o clock), through the skimmer line (handle at 9 o clock), and 50/50 line (12 o clock) through the vacuum itself, through the vacuum hole in pool, and through the skimmer itself, clean out the filter (I have suspicions the pool company cleaning wasn't great and went ahead and ordered new filters because they were dark green, at least they're light green now).

Where I'm at now, is skimmer and 50/50 mode prime well, and PSI is about 15-20, but the skimming still doesn't seem like it's fully sucking in water to get dirt/debris from surface. I have suction on the hole when I turn vacuum on, but when I prime on vacuum mode, the pump overflows, which seems to be indicates a blockage in the vacuum line from the pump to the filter? Tried hard to get a blockage of any kind out, but maybe it's something crazy blocking it.

To me the pump must be okay because skimming it works, and now I know the filter is (relatively) clean, and the skimmer line seems to not be an issue, so impeller must still be clean. So what's causing my vacuum line to overflow when I attempt to prime/give 0 PSI/not enough suction for the Kreepy Krawly, and how do I fix it?

Attachments

• IMG_2331.jpeg
    IMG_2331.jpeg
    532.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2328.jpeg
    IMG_2328.jpeg
    477.3 KB · Views: 5
Welcome to TFP.
To recap, when you have it set to skimmer suction only, the pump primes easily and the filter pressure is around 20 psi. When the valve is set to only have suction from the cleaner line, it does not prime. This would indicate a blockage in the suction line. You have cleaned the pump impeller and the filter to rule those out.
You may try surging your vacuum line by quickly turning the valve from full skimmer suction to full vacuum line suction while the pump is running.
I have used a clean out hose connected to a small power washer. The clean out hose has a small jet nozzle on the end Feed it from the pool vacuum port and push it as far it will go.

Welcome to TFP.
To recap, when you have it set to skimmer suction only, the pump primes easily and the filter pressure is around 20 psi. When the valve is set to only have suction from the cleaner line, it does not prime. This would indicate a blockage in the suction line. You have cleaned the pump impeller and the filter to rule those out.
You may try surging your vacuum line by quickly turning the valve from full skimmer suction to full vacuum line suction while the pump is running.
I have used a clean out hose connected to a small power washer. The clean out hose has a small jet nozzle on the end Feed it from the pool vacuum port and push it as far it will go.

Yep, I was thinking blockage too. Tried a drain bladder and no luck with that, might try the pressure washer idea. Any harm if I tried a plumbing snake?

I also woke up this morning and the PSI is like 20-25 on skimmer setting, but the actual suction into skimmer basket isn't ideal so back to square 0.5 to try and get skimmer to point where I can at least temporarily attach vacuum line to it to get dirt off the bottom.

Yep, I was thinking blockage too. Tried a drain bladder and no luck with that, might try the pressure washer idea. Any harm if I tried a plumbing snake?

I also woke up this morning and the PSI is like 20-25 on skimmer setting, but the actual suction into skimmer basket isn't ideal so back to square 0.5 to try and get skimmer to point where I can at least temporarily attach vacuum line to it to get dirt off the bottom.

I don't mind hiring a pro to get rid of a pesky clog, that doesn't sound too expensive, but I'm wondering if I need a new pump or if I need to do an air leak detection test.

So as an update, the vacuum line is now priming, PSI about 25 on all 3 settings now, but suction is low all around. Running a hose into the pool to raise the water level a little but thinking I may still have some debris in the lines? Possibly need to check impeller again?

So as an update, the vacuum line is now priming, PSI about 25 on all 3 settings now, but suction is low all around. Running a hose into the pool to raise the water level a little but thinking I may still have some debris in the lines? Possibly need to check impeller again?
Great. Time to clean the filter again and also check the impeller while you have the pump off.
You may want to soak the grids in some cleaner to remove all grime.

Just a note - you typically cannot pull 100% on a suction line to achieve priming as they are usually 1-1/2” PVC pipe and there’s too much head loss for the pump.

It is possible you have partial clogs on your suction lines (skimmer and cleaner) especially since the pool was left stagnant for so long. You may need a professional to clear the lines with a power flushing rooter setup.

It seems to me that your filter is probably the biggest issue. If the pool was left in such disarray for months (you need to find a new buddy to house sit for you while away on assignment), then the filter media is probably hosed at this point. You can try soaking the cartridges in a large basin of water and cascade dishwashing powder to break up any embedded grime. But I think new cartridges are in order.

Got the vacuum going 100% now so letting that do its thing, and now even though PSI is 25 or so for skimmer it's struggling to suck in water. Going to put in new cartridges today and see if that has any effect, and if that doesn't work have a pro try to blast a possible blockage out of the skimmer line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.