Vacuum and cleaner-bot hose question(s)

Aznewmom

May 22, 2021
Tucson, AZ
Hello there. I am still pretty new to all this DIY pool stuff. I hope I am posting to the right place.

I wrote some posts, few times, a couple years ago, when I first found TFP. I was just getting my pool going and had a lot to learn. I rebuilt my Hayward cleaner all on my own and seemed to have things going pretty well after a couple of months of TFP/DIY. (y) :cool: Then, the monsoon season hit, everything went wacky, and one of the storms killed all my equipment. I could not afford to have it fixed at that time, so it was back to square one. :(

Forward to last year, when I wrote one post here after this mess. I checked back in to ask about the price I was quoted, what was to be replaced, etc. That was probably early last spring or summer. I went through with the re-boot and spent a pretty penny. New, properly sized pump and sand filter, a new skimmer, piping, and electrical. It hurt, but I think it will be worth it in the long run. I will post more about the set up in another thread, later. However, I wanted to give a bit of background.

I have spent the last couple of weeks trying to get rid of some green & the beginning of a mosquito situation. I have spent a lot of time learning things here and playing about with my new equipment. I've also ordered up chlorine, some tabs to get my zero CYA up, and new reagents for my now two year old kit. I feel like I am starting all over again, like I did when I first found this site! I am basically preparing to do my very first SLAM, and want to make sure I do it right. I think I'm ready to start the process next week. 🤞

During all of this prep, I have noticed that my vac hoses might be leaking a bit of air. My cleaner just doesn't want to run like it did after I rebuilt it. It could be the vac itself, but all parts seem to move just fine. Could I get enough air leaks in these hoses to cause the vac not to work quite right? Even if the hose segments are only a year or two old? I hear some leakage noises when I pull up a few of the sections. So, I am starting there. I think replacing them is my first step before replacing the leaf filter basket. It is an old Hayward, too. However, it seems pretty sturdy. I've replaced the O-ring and do not see any cracks. It wants to float up, from time to time, and slowly fills with air. Again, making me think hoses are the issue.

I know this is LONG, but I wanted to provide enough info. -- SO, all that said, does anyone have recommendations on any brands of these vac hose sections? I fell victim ;-) to the pool store the first time I replaced them and they were definitely pricey. I do not plan on doing that again! I have looked online at Amazon, and a couple other stores. The prices range all over the place, but the hose sections all look the same. Are any brands better than others? Is there a good place to buy? A brand and/or store where YOU have had good luck? Are they are all basically the same? Do they all wear out quickly and best to just get the cheapest ones? Knowing that no matter what I purchase, I will be doing it again next year? I'd love to hear other's experiences.

I'd appreciate any feed back, links, or recommendations.
I think I need to get this figured out before I start my SLAM!
If you are this far, THANKS!! HAHA -- Have a great remainder of your Sunday.

Mom,

I can't help with the pool cleaner itself, but if you have algae, it could just be that your filter is dirty and not providing the flow the cleaner needs.

Tell us how you are connecting the vac hose to your pool pump? Do you have a vac port in the wall of the pool, or are you just using the skimmer?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim.
I have a side port and that is where the vac hose inserts for the bot cleaner. I don't put it into the skimmer. Having a working skimmer is new to me. Lived here for seven years working around a broken/leaking skimmer. It was all fixed/replaced last year. I see when I remove a piece in the bottom of the skimmer, under the basket, there are two holes. It looks like I could put a hose there. However, the cleaner runs from the side port. Hope that makes sense.

I have backwashed the new sand filter a couple of times since starting on the pool. The sand filter and the sand are all new, as of last summer. I was wondering if it was possible too "clean" and debating on trying to add DE at some point. Probably not until I actually get through most of the SLAM process, though.

Mom,

For the hose to leak air, it would have to be out of the water. If it was leaking air you should see a ton of bubbles under the pump lid.

Is this the first time you have run the cleaner since getting your new pump?

Show me a pic of your equipment pad where you turn on the sidewall vac port.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.