Vacs for Above ground pool what do you have

I have a small pool (10' diameter by 30" deep), and my pump doesn't have very strong suction, so I bought a Micro Vac, made by MP Industries. It works great, and since it attaches to my garden hose, it replaces the water I lose due to evaporation.

It could also attach to a spigot plumbed into the pool's plumbing, for those who would prefer not to add cold water into, say, a hot tub.

microvac3_opt.jpg

http://www.mp-industries.com/products2.html

The picture shows a leaf bag attached to the Micro Vac; mine came with a cloth bag that does a great job of catching the sand that accumulates in our pool.

I've had a Barracuda for a couple years. I've learned that the key to getting it to clean everywhere is having the return flow pressure slightly lower than normal (a one inch opening fitting) and aimed straight out into the pool which prevents the hose from eventually wrapping up like a pretzel. I don't use the stock hose sections. I have a slightly longer one-piece high quality hose...which I keep straightened when not in use.

It was fairly inexpensive and always gets the job done.

I kind of enjoy manual vaccing, and it doesnt take too long, but is it possible to use one of these on an easy set pool? It would be nice to have a back up when I can't get around to it,

If so, what brand works best on acorns?

Acorns are tough. Most of these have a small inlet to make for higher suction power. So far acorns are the only thing my Aquabug doesn't like. I have one of the barracuda types too, similar issue with acorns and that one always got stuck on my steps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ha! I was waiting for someone to suggest that... However, in a " normal" Florida summer that would create an even bigger problem .... No shade, lotsa heat, higher ac bills ... With all this rain, temps are down... I do keep wishing it away though, to places that need it more..

Small yard, the pool occupies most of it except a liitle walking around room, no wide expanses to move it.....

Now if someone came up with a nifty little acorn eater that would work on my little pool....
I'd be buying...

Shibiwan said:
MoreSparkle said:
Thanks, late summer, when they start dropping, is when we get busy with school, etc.. Guess I'll keep the scoop net handy
:cool: watin for sun

Chainsaw will fix your acorn problem.

-S
I've done some of that around my pool. I should do some more but don't want to lose all my shade. I thought about cutting all the oaks and putting in something else but that would take time and money I don't have.

No acorns, but I get maple seeds - those winged things. The vac can handle them, as long as they are laying flat. Most of the time they get kicked up when the vac is approaching.

My Wahoo is a little touchy. You have to get the pressure settings right, and they depend on the state of the filter. A freshly backflushed filter and the pressure on 3 results in the cleaner climbing the walls right up to (and out of) the waterline. On the other hand, as the filter begins to get to the end of it's run, I have to totally remove the pressure regulator and just run the hose right into the bottom of the skimmer or else it just lays there in the water.

Other that that, it does a good job. It coveres the entire pool, and does not get stuck.

-dave

MoreSparkle said:
Ha! I was waiting for someone to suggest that... However, in a " normal" Florida summer that would create an even bigger problem .... No shade, lotsa heat, higher ac bills ... With all this rain, temps are down... I do keep wishing it away though, to places that need it more..

Small yard, the pool occupies most of it except a liitle walking around room, no wide expanses to move it.....

Now if someone came up with a nifty little acorn eater that would work on my little pool....
I'd be buying...

We have a busy little red squirrel we'd be willing to trap and ship, lol. He might like the acorns better than the pine cones he keeps throwing at us, ha. Maybe we can fashion a mini life vest and he can clean your pool!

PAGirl said:
We have a busy little red squirrel we'd be willing to trap and ship, lol. He might like the acorns better than the pine cones he keeps throwing at us, ha. Maybe we can fashion a mini life vest and he can clean your pool!
No more squirrels!! They make for sharp acorn shells all over the place. At least a whole acorn is easy to pick up with ones toes. :-D

Pool Blaster from Walmart for $99. I bought the Aqua Broom and a few others on my way to the Pool Blaster in an attempt to NOT spend $99. Well, I guess I lost that game by about $99. Oh well. I love the Pool Blaster and I am on my second season with no issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.