Vacation - should I disable ozonator?

emoses

Jul 10, 2023
Bay Area, CA
Hi,

I've got a Bullfrog spa and I recently switched from Frog@ease to the TFP method. It's been great, no troubles, but I'm going for a week-long vacation for the first time since I switched and I want to make sure I don't come back to an algae pond. We keep the spa at 102 and it eats about 1ppm FC/day with no bathers (dropped from 4 to 2 over 36 hours on last test). I'm planning on bringing it up to 12 ppm SLAM level before I go and dropping the temp to 80 and crossing my fingers. Is it worth unplugging the ozonator when I leave too? Also, reading around the forums a bit...is it worth plugging it back in when I get home? I'm unclear on whether it really does much other than eat FC. Thanks.

If you are able to unplug it - I would probably do so but lets ask @phonedave what he does for vacation- he’s got a bullfrog with ozone.
Fwiw- I don’t have ozone & right before my last vacation my swcg died so I was manually chlorinating. I did just as you described, raised to slam level just as I walked out the door & lowered the temp (it was summer here so my tub never actually went below 90) & my fc was still above minimum upon my return 6 days later.

I don't unplug mine. I do exactly what the OP was planning on doing.

I get it clean, as in wipe down the shell and behind the packs and rinse the filters, not a water change.

Then I run it up to SLAM levels, and close it up.

When I get home, I run it back up to SLAM levels as a precaution before using it.

Never had any issues with this, and have done it 5 or 6 times now, usually for about a week at a time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.