Vacation .. Nitro’s method

Trichef1

Dec 17, 2023
Asheville, NC
I recently switched from the expensive and not very effective FrogEase system to Nitro’s method. I’m on week three and the water quality is better than it’s ever been and easy to manage as well. Now I’m getting ready to go away for a week and trying to figure out what I need to do to maintain the water quality. I saw a post here saying that a floater with 1” Dichlor tablets could do the trick but the Dichlor would add CYA which is just something I’ll have to accept and deal with when I return home. The challenge is that I cannot find Dichlor tablets anywhere.
So four questions I could use some help with ….
1) Does anyone know where i can find 1” Dichlor tablets?
2) If I used Trichlor instead of Dichlor how different would the effect on the CYA be?
3) Any other concerns I should have if I use Trichlor?
4) Any alternative suggestions to the floater method while away from home?

Thank you in advance
Robert

Don’t use trichlor in a spa -it dissolves too quickly & a low ph/ high fc condition can occur.
Never seen dichlor tabs readily available.

No need to buy anything special.
Just raise fc to slam level for your cya with liquid chlorine
FC/CYA Levels right when you’re leaving & lower the tub temp way down. (The lowest mine goes is mid 80’s?)
Should be good for a week away. It is fine in my tub for 7 days. I have done this & returned home to target range fc.
If you know your average standby fc loss per day you could also multiply that by your days away + a couple ppm of cushion instead of slam level.
If you travel alot you may consider adding a swcg to cover your standby chlorine needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: phonedave
Think of it this way.

If you have a clean spa (purged with AhhSome and maybe use AquaClarity) and keep the cover closed, not much of anything is going to get in there.

So you run the FC up to SLAM levels and close the cover. It kills most everything that is in there, and since nobody is using it or opening it, nothing gets in. All that uses up the FC is heat, time, and perhaps ozone if you have it.

I do the same and mine is fine for 8-10 days of vacation.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Think of it this way.

If you have a clean spa (purged with AhhSome and maybe use AquaClarity) and keep the cover closed, not much of anything is going to get in there.

So you run the FC up to SLAM levels and close the cover. It kills most everything that is in there, and since nobody is using it or opening it, nothing gets in. All that uses up the FC is heat, time, and perhaps ozone if you have it.

I do the same and mine is fine for 8-10 days of vacation.
Thank you. This is very helpful … the spa was purged w/ AhhSome just 3 weeks ago. So, I’ll bring the FC up to 10-12 ppm and good-to-go.

Don’t use trichlor in a spa -it dissolves too quickly & a low ph/ high fc condition can occur.
Never seen dichlor tabs readily available.

No need to buy anything special.
Just raise fc to slam level for your cya
FC/CYA Levels right when you’re leaving & lower the tub temp way down. (The lowest mine goes is mid 80’s?)
Should be good for a week away. It is fine in my tub for 7 days. I have done this & returned home to target range fc.
If you know your average standby fc loss per day you could also multiply that by your days away + a couple ppm of cushion instead of slam level.
If you travel alot you may consider adding a swcg to cover your standby chlorine needs.
Thank you for the great advise … It’s very much appreciated. I do travel often … what is an swcg?

Reactions: phonedave
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.