New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Out of the country starting Friday for about 7 days.

A friend is coming by to clean and skim the pool when we are away. Don't want to involve him in testing etc the two or three times he comes, so I may just put the SWCG setting to where it'll continue to increase my FC overtime and when I get back, I'll either turn off the SWCG and let it drift or curse that I'll have to SLAM lol

Reactions: markayash
The benefit of having an SWG is to basically "set & forget it". Leave your SWG on to maintain your ideal FC level. But you might consider having a couple jugs of liquid chlorine available as a back-up just in case your friend comes by and the SWG module is showing red and not producing chlorine. Your friend may not be able to troubleshoot the module or SWG, but can add some liquid chlorine if needed.

I always raise to a few ppm below SLAM and then put in a floater with 3 pucks which I anchor to quikrete filled bleach bottle in the middle because I'm paranoid it will sit against the liner.

Just returned from 7.5 days away and had 12ppm FC. And an overflowing pool from all the storms.

But was still TFP clear.

I always raise to a few ppm below SLAM and then put in a floater with 3 pucks which I anchor to quikrete filled bleach bottle in the middle because I'm paranoid it will sit against the liner.

Just returned from 7.5 days away and had 12ppm FC. And an overflowing pool from all the storms.

But was still TFP clear.
Thought about bringing it up to SLAM and reducing the SWCG to where it will add about 1 to 1.5 ppm a day. (I tend to Flux between 1.5 and 2ish, depending on the weather)

And when I get back, provided it's still ok, I'll just turn off the SWCG completely and let it drift down to the normal level.

Bring it to about 2-3 ppm below SLAM with LC, round to the nearest full gallon that gets you in the ballpark and leave your SWCG where it is.

Better yet, can your friend just pour in a gallon on day 3 and day 5 or thereabouts? It's low cost insurance against coming home to a green pool and having to SLAM.

Reactions: kul
Bring it to about 2-3 ppm below SLAM with LC, round to the nearest full gallon that gets you in the ballpark and leave your SWCG where it is.

Better yet, can your friend just pour in a gallon on day 3 and day 5 or thereabouts? It's low cost insurance against coming home to a green pool and having to SLAM.
Even at the peak, it's 2.5 ppm to 3ppm a day being used.

I'll be leaving on day 1, and back the following week.

6 days at 2.5 is burning through 15 FC in a week, and that is without the SWCG running. Near SLAM at my CYA would bring it in the teens. With the SWCG on at 2, it would even be higher than that, no?

Not that I'm opposed to asking them to add anything, just trying to avoid it.

28 minus 15 = 13 FC without the SWCG running.
It burns off as a %. It's barely noticeable at target range but becomes real noticeable in the 20s. It's hindered many a SWG SLAM.

If you were to start at 28 (no SWG) you'd likely be at target range in a couple days. So that's why I proposed maintaining slightly above target range, with the SWG.

It burns off as a %. It's barely noticeable at target range but becomes real noticeable in the 20s. It's hindered many a SWG SLAM.

If you were to start at 28 (no SWG) you'd likely be at target range in a couple days. So that's why I proposed maintaining slightly above target range, with the SWG.
Got it. That's because the higher the FC, the more it burns off.. I forgot.

My pool math log is attached to my account. What should I keep the SWCG % wise then?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool math log is attached to my account
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. You're doing it wrong. :ROFLMAO: If you have to adjust the swg every other day, you might as well be adding double doses of bleach.

The weather and UV is all over the place day to day. If you adjust it down at 9, you'll have to step right back in 2 days later at 7 to adjust it up. You have a stupid big SWG and a short season. It's going to last a looooooong time. Pay no mind to trying to eek out a few more hours of cell life (literally a few) and let that baby do what it's supposed to do. Make things easier. I step in when I see a teen. Many times it's a high teen by the time I catch it.

Anywho, run a test for a couple days at 40% and 8 hours. We'll make a judgment call before you go.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. You're doing it wrong. :ROFLMAO: If you have to adjust the swg every other day, you might as well be adding double doses of bleach.

The weather and UV is all over the place day to day. If you adjust it down at 9, you'll have to step right back in 2 days later at 7 to adjust it up. You have a stupid big SWG and a short season. It's going to last a looooooong time. Pay no mind to trying to eek out a few more hours of cell life (literally a few) and let that baby do what it's supposed to do. Make things easier. I step in when I see a teen. Many times it's a high teen by the time I catch it.

Anywho, run a test for a couple days at 40% and 8 hours. We'll make a judgment call before you go.

😞

I'll be testing tomorrow am and putting it to 40%.

Reactions: Newdude
I set mine and my FC is 7. Come back in 2 weeks and it’s still 7 so don’t worry about it :)

You may want to bring your PH down a little if it creeps up over time.

But like new dude said set it and leave it :)
I check my FC about once a week once it’s dialed in.

You are correct that my suggestion will leave you with plenty left if all goes well, so just think of it as low cost insurance.

I have a fairly simple digital timer and I'm not certain it would come back on if power was out long enough (30 min?) and I've had occasions where skimmer basket fills up so much in a storm that pump loses prime. In that case I'd just tell my pool tender to turn everything off and deal with it when I get home.

I don't know how likely those situations are for you and I also get the "rather not ask someone to add LC" if you don't have to. That's an insurance cost as well! Weigh those against risk of having to SLAM when you return.

Enjoy vacation!

My vacation check list:
Bump up chlorine output slightly
Balance chems
Leave water at normal level
Close skimmer(s) completely
Open main drain
Turn off heater
Put in frog log
Lock gates

Weather has been Darn here. Not too surprised on the FC amount.
Yeah it's been hot, or 'was THAT the Ark that just floated by ???'

If it keeps holding at 8 hours / 40% until you leave, then it will likely continue. Going to 50% would allow some wiggle room and peace of mind.

Reactions: markayash
Yeah it's been hot, or 'was THAT the Ark that just floated by ???'

If it keeps holding at 8 hours / 40% until you leave, then it will likely continue. Going to 50% would allow some wiggle room and peace of mind.
Ark Saturday and Sunday.

Yesterday was warm, but Canada keeps blowing their smoke to the east coast so it was hazy all day.

I'll retest tomorrow and see where we're at.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.