Jun 8, 2021
Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi,

I usually follow TFP to the letter and have even as a pool salesman in a pool store back in the day. I opened pool, found a rip in cover and a ton of leaves. Added liquid CHL to about 18 with a CYA at 40. my Ph will hold at 7.4 without any effort. I Vacuumed 3 the days in a row, rotated cartridge filter 3 times and clean skimmer basket 50 times. Lots of leaves. Fifth day is today, water is still cloudy, pump has ran 24/7 for 5 days now. Filter cartridge in is brand new. Free Chl as of last night was 16. I havent checked today yet.

Yes I am using a Taylor K2005.

Am I just in a waiting game or is there still a chance of leaves on the bottom?

Thanks for this great place to read and share.

With a 2005, how are you measuring FC?

Target SLAM for CYA 40 = 16. Any higher is a waste (it is about duration, not level) and not good for equipment. Higher is not better.

Not sure on the leaves, have you dragged it a bit to see?

Likely a waiting game, but you really need to get any debris out.

I fingered that test kit number its a 2006 - C, I just went out and looked again. New powder and DPD agent this year. I think that's the right name. I don't want to go any higher on Chl either, just making sure it runs at SLAM level till I see some clear water. Never taken this long before.

I will just use my brush to see what I can drag, that's an idea. Vacuum is a cheap and quick fix if that is what is slowing my clarity down.

Hey, just read your signature, we actually have stores here I was schooled in and we were "Liquid Chlorine kills everything!" kinda store. So to clarify I'm not a chemical guy at all. I used to use the reusable totes even for a case at a time and then return emptys. Not sure if that happens anymore.

I have seen no improvement in water clarity at all yet. FC dropped to six so I brought it back to 16 this morning, pump is still running 24/7 pressure is static at starting point. Vaccuumed entire pool last night again! What in the world is cloudying my water???

I have seen no improvement in water clarity at all yet. FC dropped to six so I brought it back to 16 this morning, pump is still running 24/7 pressure is static at starting point. Vaccuumed entire pool last night again! What in the world is cloudying my water???
Organics/Algae. How often are you testing FC and adding chlorine. The more often you can do this (like every couple hours) the faster it will clear.

Can you post pics of your current water?

You're only on day 6. Many times it takes longer - even if it didn't the last few rimes.

Use a good dose of POP - Pool Owner Patience.

My Wife doesnt understand POP, she just sees Memorial Day around the corner! In Ohio that is an IMPORTANT date for us short season pool owners:)

Thanks to all who have replied. If anything changes Ill post more. But I will check FC every hour or so all day today.

Reactions: PoolStored
Your biggest limitation is going to be your filter. If you have a sand filter, they are generally undersized for AGP, and they take the longest to clear the pool.

It will just take time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your FC is between minimum and SLAM level for your CYA and you can clearly see the bottom of the pool along it's full length, its safe to swim.

If your wife doesn't have POP, keep her away from the pool and let her know that you know what you're doing as far as pool management is concerned.

Close late and open early.
Next year, consider opening sooner to get a jump on clearing the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.