Using the filter for a vacuum?

dntsdad

May 8, 2016
Clovis, Ca
Hi all.

My pool is really nasty at the bottom. LOTS of sediment, random leaves, etc. My old filter cracked and a new one wasn't in the budget for a while but I just got a new one installed. FNS60 DE moving from a FNS 48

In the past, I would run it in backwash and vacuum the bottom and discharge all the gunk from the bottom. However, I think that amount that I have this time, and coupled with the amount of very stiff redwood debris from the neighbors trees are going to rip up my new grids.

Is it okay to remove the entire grid assembly and run in without anything in there and just use it as a vacuum and out the discharge line?

I can't see why not but I want to ask before I ruin my new $1600 filter!

Thanks in advance for any help

Do you only have a push/pull valve?

I'm assuming you don't have a multiport or you'd just vacuum to waste.

Incidentally, vacuuming while your system is in backwash is counterproductive. It just clogs your cartridges in reverse. And then when you set it back to proper filter, it reverses again and dumps that crud back into your pool.

To answer the question, yes you can remove the cartridges to spare them. But, man, what a hassle. The belt and o-ring aren't made for frequent open/close. If you have a multiport, use waste, if you don't, I'd highly recommend you get one and whatever replumbing is needed will be well worth it.

No, I don't have a multi-port. This isn't something that i would do frequently. I just think that the redwood debris would rip the grids so I want to avoid even having them in there.
Yep, huge hassle but I need to find the best/easiest method to get it back to good.

No, I don't have a multi-port. This isn't something that i would do frequently. I just think that the redwood debris would rip the grids so I want to avoid even having them in there.
Yep, huge hassle but I need to find the best/easiest method to get it back to good.
Vacuuming with your system running normally, and then backwashing when its clogged up, is the way it was designed. The biggest nuisance then, is just recharging the grids.

If you're worried about sucking up damaging materials, you can remove them and then backwash to waste. I'd still humbly suggest installing a multiport if you find yourself wanting to vac to waste more than twice a year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.