Using the Auxiliary Plug of a Raypak Avia 264 heater connected to a relay to control a 20Amp circuit of a 1.0HP single speed pump

mitWtim

Jul 27, 2023
Markham, Ontario, Canada
I live in Markham, Ontario, Canada. Have a roughly 16x35 80,000L in-ground pool. We have been replacing equipment as it fails, the most recent being our original Raypak 255 WG-N heater which failed a few weeks ago. We now have a Raypak Avia 264 heater (2023) model P-R264A-EN-C.

It is connected to WiFi and I have the Raymote App on my phone to allow me to control the heat. The problem being that we have our pump controlled by a mechanical timer located beside our breaker panel in our basement. I do not want to run my pump 24/7, as a pool guy told me to do. The details on the pump, which I had assumed was original, but maybe it isn't - 1.0 HP Jacuzzi Magnum 1000 Pump with a Century 186085 single speed motor that is wired 115VAC, if I'm reading the date code in the serial number correctly it is from 1996. I would have thought the pool was from the 80's, but I just checked the serial number of our old heater with the embedded date code in it, and it is also 1996 - so I guess that is the age of our pool. There's the background.

Now my question is, can I add a relay to the wiring feeding our pool pump which is on a 20Amp breaker that would allow me to plug the relay into the Raypak Avia Heater's Auxiliary outlet so that I can have the Raymote app control my pump (and do away with the mechanical timer)? That way I can use its 'smart' feature to ensure that the heater turns off and the pump continues to run for 15 mins or so to make sure everything has cooled down.

Welcome to TFP.

Now my question is, can I add a relay to the wiring feeding our pool pump which is on a 20Amp breaker that would allow me to plug the relay into the Raypak Avia Heater's Auxiliary outlet so that I can have the Raymote app control my pump (and do away with the mechanical timer)? That way I can use its 'smart' feature to ensure that the heater turns off and the pump continues to run for 15 mins or so to make sure everything has cooled down.

You need to use a relay or contactor that is rated for the pump amperage and inductive loads.

You need a power supply to close the relay/contactor and run it through the Raypak relay.

The Avia relay can only handle 10A at 125V.

1690474436249.png

Thanks Allen. The pump is a Jacuzzi Magnum 1000, powered by a dedicated 20Amp circuit. I figure it must be wired in the 115 VAC mode (according to the sticker in the attached pic) because it is only one breaker in my panel - not a double breaker. I don't believe this model pump has a relay inside of it, and it is designed to function the way that it is installed at my house with a 20A switch mounted on the wall beside it - or in my case I leave that on, since we have a mechanical timer installed beside our breaker panel which runs through a GFCI before heading outside to the switch, then the pump.

You were likely already referring to this Raypak Avia 265 heater manual when you did your initial reply. https://s3.amazonaws.com/AWSProd/sites/raypakcom/documents/100-10000111.pdf
I see on page 81 of the PDF they list the details of the auxiliary control output. And I believe these are the power specs.
1690480313883.png
They go on to include this diagram, which I believe is the setup I'm looking for.
1690480387145.png

Here is an image of the label on my pump motor.

1690480470402.png
I take it to mean it can go up to 14Amps. And that's why it is on a 20A circuit.

Do you happen to be able to point me in the direction of the actual relay product that I would need?
If you don't know, or this is asking too much. No worries. I'll keep working away at this, or call an electrician in.

This is the relay used in automation systems...

Omron G7L-2A-BUBJ-CB-DC24

This relay has a 24V DC coil. The picture you posted shows a 24V AC transformer.

This is the 24V AC version relay...

Omron G7L-2A-BUBJ-CB-AC24

Match up the transformer output with the proper relay.

It all needs to be put in a weatherproof box with outdoor wiring from the CB and to the pump.

I would open up the pump wiring and confirm which voltage the pump is wired for.

Out of Curiosity, if i can get my heater back up and running, if I wanted to use the Aux to control Low voltage pool light, do i just use Common and NO and put this in between the low voltage output of the light after the transformer. Essentially making the two Aux wires act like a switch. So for example. Cut one Low voltage Feed going to the light and connect that to Common, then take the other side and connect it to NO on Aux and thats it. I can now control my lights?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.