Using pump waste output for emergency fire situation?

PullJunkie

Oct 7, 2018
PA
Just thinking through some stuff here. I know its physically possible to do, but would it work without hurting the pump in an emergency situation for fast water access?

Using the waste output of the pump for emergency water in a [brush] fire situation? For example: My waste output is 1.5" pvc. I'd put a "T" with some valves and use 1.5" slip to 1.5" NPT that I would adapt over to 1" NST (NH) to 1" wildland fire hose.

Anyone ever do this? I know not much pressure but should at least provide more volume then a garden hose off a well.

Having fast access to ~16-20k gallons of water in that type of event would be good.

Last edited:
PJ,

I don't see why it would not work, except your water level would quickly be below the skimmer's mouth.

As long as your plumbing allows you to select just the main drain, it should work just fine.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: PullJunkie
PJ,

I don't see why it would not work, except your water level would quickly be below the skimmer's mouth.

As long as your plumbing allows you to select just the main drain, it should work just fine.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yes I can select main or skimmer, should not be an issue with that. I'm going to give it a go. Adapters, reducers, valves and a 1" wildland spray nozzle less then $75. Used 1" wildland hose ~$52 for 100' (gonna order 400'). Should be a good start.

If the need ever arises and you pull from the drains, you may lose prime at some point. Holding the business end of the hose, you'll know right away and go shut off the pump.

Normally we advise not risking a $1500+ pump when you could use a cheapo submersible instead for draining, but in this theoretical case, the pump may save far more than its worth like the house for example.

Reactions: PullJunkie
I do also have a 3" gas trash pump that could push alot of water, but in an emergency, until I can get it out of the shed with the suction hose and all other 2 1/2" firehose, and then try to start it, it would take a while. The pool setup is ready and waiting just to turn a few valves and hook up the 1" wildland hose.

I have actually done this and tested it. Not my intent at the time but the idea struck me when I was making up some other stuff. It worked surprisingly well. I could wet the entire roof of my single story house no problem.

When I redid the pad last year I prebuilt several easily swappable pipe & valve sections. Simple bypasses for the filter or SWG and this rig. All hooks together with unions.

I have actually done this and tested it. Not my intent at the time but the idea struck me when I was making up some other stuff. It worked surprisingly well. I could wet the entire roof of my single story house no problem.

When I redid the pad last year I prebuilt several easily swappable pipe & valve sections. Simple bypasses for the filter or SWG and this rig. All hooks together with unions.
📸 please

It might be easier to get get a sump pump capable of the flow needed and toss that in the deep end. I have one that’s pretty close to my pool pump output.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you live where wildfire is a real threat, a purpose-built portable wildland fire pump like the Wick 80-4H is self-contained and reliable, with appropriate specs for pumping water through a hose and onto a roof. And it has no dependencies on external sources of electricity, or on network connectivity, or on people knowing how to manually adjust the filter pump speed when the network isn't available, or on people knowing/remembering to turn valves, or on skimmer float valves being present and working properly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.