Aquaphobic

May 6, 2024
Pleasant Hill, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Received TF-100, am getting started. Obviously unreliable readings would lead to poor pool water, wasted money on chemicals and electricity, and wasted time chasing non-existent problems, so...

I have done a few quick tests on testing before pumps kicked in and after an hour or so of circulation. Also tried taking samples at depths of 4”, 6”, 12”. So far it’s appearing to me that taking water samples @ 4” depth with pumps on or not yields reasonably consistent (close enough for backyard pool) readings compared to “down to the elbow” and after an hour of pumps running. The various chemicals seem to be diffused, suspended, bonded,... whatever, in the water and do not settle to the bottom or float to the top between pump runs. Although, the top couple of inches would no doubt be different due to sun and evaporation effects, different surface temperature, and probably debris and swimmer oils and lotions. I’m not interested in opinions or hearsay here, but I am interested in actual tests with actual readings testing the difference between say 4” and 12” depths, and still water versus after circulating. (Your tests or links to those who have done such tests.) If no one has test data on these, fair enough, no problem. I will forge ahead and over time eventually test/gather data of my own. However, it would be really nice to see some actual data to support the various (and differing) instructions, guidelines, tips, and opinions on what I must do, must not do, should do, should not do, want to do, don’t want to do,....
Paddling my way up the poolcare learning curve! Thank you.

Does not make a difference once you get your hand at least wrist deep. Don't skim test water from the surface.

Whatever you do, do it consistently from the same area of the pool.