Using or disposing of old pool chemicals

ba67

Oct 17, 2018
Southern Kentucky
I was cleaning out our garage and found 6 jugs of liquid chlorine that appear to be 1-3 years old, 3 pounds of powdered Cal-hypo shock that appear to be 3-4 years old, and several pounds of HTH PH Up that is approximately 3 years old. I know that the liquid chlorine probably doesn't have much chlorine left in it, but could I pour it into my pool to get rid of it without it causing any issues, other than potentially increasing the chlorine level? I have a septic tank so I am not supposed to pour chlorine down the drain. Could I use the Cal-hypo shock sometime if it is 3-4 years old since my calcium level is not high? If not, can it just be thrown away in the trash or do I need to wait to dispose of it on Hazardous Waste Day in October? I'm also curious to know what the shelf life is on the PH Up that we have in our garage that is 3 years old. We only use PH Up at opening on an as needed basis, so I'd like to keep it if it will be good for awhile longer. If it won't be any good next year when it turns 4 years old, I need to know if it is okay to throw it in the trash now or if I need to wait until Hazardous Waste Day to get rid of it.

You can use all of it. As you say, the liquid chlorine is salt water essentially.
The cal hypo is fine. Do NOT through in the trash. It can spontaneously combust if under certain circumstances. Use it up soon. Most dangerous chemical we have in pool care.
The pH up is likely soda ash? See what it says on the package. Not the best chemical to use in pool care. Just have to be ware of the circumstances of using it.

Reactions: ba67
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.