digimack

Nov 29, 2022
Tomball, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We recently built our pool and love all the equipment and IntelliCenter access on our phone.

I have an iPad and want to make it a dedicated control device for the backyard that will connect with IntelliCenter, Sonos, Spotify, Smarthome, etc.. I would leave it inside or under a covered patio.

I have teenagers and don’t want them downloading each of these apps, including IntelliCenter. Trying to avoid being an app help desk to several people on multiple devices. Plus if someone is house sitting, we can give them instructions for turning on hot tub and more.

For the iPad, it would make sense to have a nice case, maybe waterproof or resistant and a mount/stand to easily keep it charged.

Curious to see if anyone has a perfect setup with case & mount/stand.

I’ve looked around and found products from Joyfactory that includes magnetic cases and mounts but they are pretty pricy. Any other ideas or examples for an awesome ipad setup for intellicenter?

@Dirk has repurposed several old devices to have multiple access points. Maybe he's got ideas for ya. He's probably chasing local kids off his lawn but will be around shortly. :)

My iPad is mounted permanently on a wall, next to "command central:" home automation, HVAC and EasyTouch Indoor Controller. I have several other mobile devices that all have the same capability, too, but I understand you want to keep it to one device. I can take any device out to the pool, or anywhere else, but I also like the mounted solution. They are all hardwired, so no batteries or recharging to deal with, and I never have to hunt them down as they're always where they're supposed to be (something you won't be able to enjoy with a mobile device used my many). I also like being able to glance at them while walking by, or from across the room. The iPad, because it has constant power, can be left in "always on" mode, so I never have to find it, pick it up, turn it on, find the app, launch the app, wait for it to load, find the screen I want, and then finally get to the button or readout I'm after. It's just always there, ready to look at or use. Hey, if remote control = lazy, then embrace it! They're all about ease-of-use, right? So I've made mine as easy to use as possible!

I've never found a great iPad mount solution. I really liked the original Apple stands, which were small, simple and could charge the device. I still use my iPad 1 and its original stand! I bought others off of Amazon, one that has worked well for the kids: padded with a stand that works in either orientation. And then just simple stands for areas that don't get too much traffic.

and
(I have the one above in black.)

Here's Command Central (an old pic). I fabricated the iPad frame out of wood. The EasyTouch controller has since been upgraded to the eight-button model, and the pic shows the original iPad 1 install, which has also since been upgraded. And that's the rub, no matter which solution you find, you'll eventually want Apple's latest, and they always change just enough to orphan stands and cases. Whaddayagonnado...

control central.jpg

I've since painted all the picture frames on that wall the same color. So while my controllers are not hidden, they blend in just fine.

I also repurpose my old iPhones. I have one in the kitchen, pretty much a dedicated shopping list maker (there's an app for that that still works on an iPhone 4), and I have my old iPhone 5 over my pool water testing station, that sports a custom home automation page that displays pool and outdoor temperate full time, but also has Pool Math and Pentair apps loaded up for when I need quick access to those. It's plugged in to a charger, 24/7, so it's always on, and always ready.

cabinet.jpg

And here's the old iPad 1, now repurposed as my weather and temperatures station. Note the original iPad stand, which charges, so that's another battery I don't need to worry about.

ipad 1.jpg

The point is (besides showing off): don't be too quick to decide you only want one device. Believe me, I get the hassle of maintenance and support, but I really enjoy all the convenience multiple devices provide, and I wouldn't give any one of them up.

Sorry, what was your question again? ;)

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.