Using Granular "pH Down" with an SWG?

mmcwhorter

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 13, 2015
Huntingtown, MD
I was at WalMart last December and they were closing out the granular pH Down for a buck a bag (4 pounds). Now that Muriatic Acid has supplanted the $15 / gallon price here at my local pool store, :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I thought this was the deal of the century. ;)

Then I learn if you have an SWG, DO NOT USE GRANULAR PRODUCTS TO LOWER THE Ph.

I'd like to better understand why this is the case, and also if there are any situations where I could use it....for example, when I open my pool the pH is usually VERY high, VERY bouncy, and I don't usually install the SWG for 2-3 weeks after opening. I'll usually SLAM right away and keep the CL level up using Cal-Hypo 73 for 2-3 weeks in the begiining of the season. Thannks

Attachments

• Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 0
Granular pH Down is sodium bisulfate. The problem is that this adds sulfates to your water which build up over time. Sulfates are damaging to plaster and SWG plates. Since this is a situation where the sulfates remain in the water it does not matter whether you add it when the SWG is in operation or not, they will be there when you next turn it on.

Sorry, but the recommendations are strongly against using this product, especially in a pool with a plaster finish and/or an SWG unit.

Got it...that is what I needed to know...the bad stuff does not go away. Thanks. So, I know a guy who has vinyl pool and no SWG and is willing to trade some MA for Sodium bisulfate. Maybe a win-win. If not, how do I dispose of my $8 investment (32 pounds)?

Does your local municipality have a Hazardous Household Waste Disposal day? Some, like mine, mark off a specific day and location each month for people to drop off hazardous waste (electronics, old fluorescent lights, used oil, etc). Pool chemicals would fall under that category. If not, then trading it with a neighbor is a good idea.

Hazardous Household Waste Disposal day?
Some, like mine, mark off a specific day and location each month for people to drop off hazardous waste (electronics, old fluorescent lights, used oil, etc).
I can only imagine the terror as the staff realizes that it’s you pulling up with your monthly truckload of Hazardous waste from all of your experiments.

Various explosive, toxic and dangerous substances.

This is the site 5 minutes after you leave.

giphy.gif

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.